ntfs-3g, large files, and dolphin

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merc68k

ntfs-3g, large files, and dolphin

Post by merc68k »

This is maybe not the best place to ask this question, but I wonder if anyone else has run into this:

I have some big video files, stored on an NTFS partition (from Windows). The partition is mounted in Linux using ntfs-3g. This works well, but for some reason when I open the folder where the files are located in Dolphin, and right click the file in order to do something with it, it immediately starts hammering the disk and usually the system will effectively freeze. I can't even get to a console via ctrl-alt-F1 to kill whatever it is that's freaking out.

I copied the file to my OS drive (ext3) and it works fine there, so it would seem to be rooted in ntfs-3g... combined with the way Dolphin looks at the file when right-clicking it.

If this isn't a known issue maybe I'll try to find someone in the ntfs-3g camp that I can ask.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: ntfs-3g, large files, and dolphin

Post by DrHu »

merc68k wrote:I copied the file to my OS drive (ext3) and it works fine there, so it would seem to be rooted in ntfs-3g... combined with the way Dolphin looks at the file when right-clicking it
more context
--how are your drives partitioned, which types of drives; all internal (pata or sata) or mix of internal/external drives..
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#cpu100
-ntfs partition is/is not on an external USB drive ?
It may also have to do with file types
  • Create a larger video file 4-9gb
  • Create a larger text or word processing type file
  • Compare the results on your system of coying these files between the ntfs and the linux partition
Dolphin..
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33018
merc68k

Re: ntfs-3g, large files, and dolphin

Post by merc68k »

All drives are internal SATA. One bit of information I left out that could be important; the NTFS partition is on an nvidia raid 0 container.

I did some reading re: ntfs-3g and saw that and updated version with some performance/cpu usage issues fixed was available. So I've updated to that, and it seems to have improved but not fixed the problem.
I can now get to a command line and kill Dolphin before the system grinds to a halt. This has allowed me to do some testing, and what I've found is:

- Other file types seem fine - I made a similarly sized file from /dev/urandom and no problem.
- If I use Konqueror and right click on any of these files, there is no problem.
- I copied the whole folder where these files are located to my linux partition, and DID have the same problem.

So, it seems like it's a Dolphin issue...

Return to “Software & Applications”