Selected graphics driver not persistent on reboot SOLVED

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mstng_67

Selected graphics driver not persistent on reboot SOLVED

Post by mstng_67 »

Hello All!

I am trying out the new Mint 7 Gloria and am thoroughly impressed with the new features and fixes. I tip my hat to Clem and the team.

However, I have recently experienced an annoyance that I cannot seem to remedy. I am unable to get a hardware driver (NVIDIA version 180) to be persistent from boot to boot. At each boot I have to enable the correct driver, switch to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F2), and restart gnome in order for Mint to load the driver. Once I am returned to my desktop, I have to run nvidia-settings (as root) to reconfigure X for dual monitors. This process has to happen each and every time I boot the computer.

It is also noteworthy that I am running Mint 7 from a persistent USB stick. All of my other settings and files are persistent with the exception of my video driver and X settings.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Selected graphics driver not persistent on reboot

Post by Husse »

running Mint 7 from a persistent USB stick. All of my other settings and files are persistent
The USB stick is the answer - but how?
All of my other settings and files
Does that include things in Mint proper? (Outside home) Or is it just your personal files
I think you should consult the pages that deal with persistent USB sticks - there are plenty specifically for Mint
mstng_67

Post by mstng_67 »

The USB stick is the answer - but how?
I used usb-creator.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install usb-creator
After you finish creating the bootable USB Mint with this wonderful tool you have to configure the syslinux.cfg file on the USB stick in order to make it persistent. If not your USB Mint will boot but your changes will not be saved. This file is in two locations, and it is my experience that you have to edit both. The first is in the root of the USB stick; the second is in the syslinux directory. I edited mine as by passing the persistent keyword as a kernel parameter:

Code: Select all

#lines removed for brevity
label live
  menu label Start Linux Mint
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append  file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
menu default
#more lines removed 
Does that include things in Mint proper? (Outside home)
Yes. I am a novice web developer and have this USB Mint configured as an apache2 web server among many other things. All of my additional packages and configuration on programs and services are persistent, with the exception of the video driver and X settings. I have never had this issue before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the response!
mstng_67

Post by mstng_67 »

I have resolved the issue. I ran nvidia-settings as root, but the problem existed when I clicked the "Save to X Configuration File" button. In the "Save X Configuration" dialogue box there is a checkbox that is labeled "Merge with existing file." If the box is checked, my driver and X settings must be set on each boot (i.e. not persistent). If I uncheck the box and save the X configuration, my settings are persistent from boot to boot.

Thanks Husse for the response.
AlexeyKot

Re: Selected graphics driver not persistent on reboot solved

Post by AlexeyKot »

Hi!

I've got the same problem. But the last solution didn't help me. As I see, every time I boot Linux Mint 7 with USB persistent drive - the xorg.conf goes to default state. And I must reactivate the nvidia driver manually.

Return to “Hardware Support”