about AMD Athlon x64 & ATI Radeon X1300 [Half-Solved]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ebaut

about AMD Athlon x64 & ATI Radeon X1300 [Half-Solved]

Post by ebaut »

good evening :)

I have two problems with hardware on my desktop PC.
I`m using Mint 7 Main edition 32 bit (for better software support).

first problem with ati video.. driver "ATI CCC 9.3" from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English
won`t install :\

I`ve used "sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-9.2-x86.x86_64.run"

Code: Select all

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.28-11-generic; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro
and with cpu: one day I`ve install Avant Window Navigator. and cpu frequency plugin.
It shows that my athlon x64 3800+ works only on 1 GHz, but the normal is 2.4 GHz
p.s. maybe it`s the reason that my PC plays video slowly then it was with xp T_T

I`ve tried to download -linux_frequency_driver-2.10.0.tar.bz2 (25 KB)
from http://en.kioskea.net/telecharger/telec ... -athlon-fx

but I doesn`t know how to install this :D
there are 2 files: powernow-k8.c and powernow-k8.h
in readme file there is no answer :(

thanks for watching.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ebaut

Re: about AMD Athlon x64 & ATI Radeon X1300

Post by ebaut »

damn! I saw a small text in readme :D

The powernow-k8.c and powernow-k8.h files should be 
placed in the arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq directory. 
The kernel will then need to be rebuilt and the system
rebooted.  Builds of the 64-bit arch/x86_64 kernel use 
the same source files.

For further documentation, see the 
linux/Documentation/cpu-freq directory.
okay, but I`ve not found this path and how can I rebuilt the kernel? :shock: F1!
ebaut

Post by ebaut »

I`ve tried to install powernowd from synaptic.

powernowd: PowerNow Daemon v1.00, (c) 2003-2008 John Clemens
powernowd: Found 1 scalable unit:  -- 1 'CPU' per scalable unit
powernowd:   cpu0: 1000Mhz - 2400Mhz (15 steps)
may it help to increase cpu speed?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Your cpu frequencies are a feature in AMD cpu chips. And it is working properly. It's called Cool'n'Quiet. You can read about it at AMD.
As soon as you start using a program, the cpu automatically spools up to the full 2400 Mhz., and as soon as the full power is not required, drops back to 1000 Mhz.
Thus saving power! Try running an action game, and I bet you are getting full power.
This is normal operating for these "Cool'n'Quiet" capable CPU/Motherboard combos.

The ATI problem, is you are trying to install a driver for a different Linux Kernel version. You need one that matches your kernel.
ebaut

Post by ebaut »

richyrich wrote:Your cpu frequencies are a feature in AMD cpu chips. And it is working properly. It's called Cool'n'Quiet. You can read about it at AMD.
As soon as you start using a program, the cpu automatically spools up to the full 2400 Mhz., and as soon as the full power is not required, drops back to 1000 Mhz.
Thus saving power! Try running an action game, and I bet you are getting full power.
This is normal operating for these "Cool'n'Quiet" capable CPU/Motherboard combos.

The ATI problem, is you are trying to install a driver for a different Linux Kernel version. You need one that matches your kernel.
oh, thanks :D now I understood :)
there is no drivers that matches :(
is there any non-ATI video driver?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yup, I think you are right! :(
The kernel that Mint 7 / Jaunty is based on has a well documented bug for older ATI cards. (the forums are filled with them). ATI has since released their source code, and I'm sure the upstream developers are working on new drivers, which will hopefully show up soon. I know, it doesn't help you now! but you may have to stick with the included open-source driver. :?

Does EnvyNG recommend any drivers?

Richard

PS: I don't recommend it, but you may be able to disable Cool'n'Quiet in your BIOS.
ebaut

Post by ebaut »

thank you, Richard, I`ll wait for drivers :)

/me want to made a program like ndiswrapper, but not only for wifi.. for all windows drivers.. :twisted:

Return to “Hardware Support”