Keyboard and Mouse Unresponsive Until Reconnected

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Beyond Aphelion

Keyboard and Mouse Unresponsive Until Reconnected

Post by Beyond Aphelion »

By reading through some wireless connectivity issue posts, I'm fairly confident someone knows a solution to my problem, however it was never explicitly stated in those threads. This is why I've decided to post a new topic. The issue is simple:

- I boot into Linux Mint.
- Keyboard and mouse are unresponsive at login screen.
- To get them to respond for the rest of my session until I have to shutdown/restart/etc, I simply disconnect then reconnect their bluetooth usb dongle.

The question:

- The issue is not formidable, however, it would be nice if I didn't have to manually unplug and plug-in a wire everytime I start my computer. How can I get my computer to boot up and immediately recognize my keyboard/mouse/dongle?

My keyboard/mouse/numberpad model is a Logitech DiNovo Media Desktop (if that makes any difference).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Beyond Aphelion

Re: Keyboard and Mouse Unresponsive Until Reconnected

Post by Beyond Aphelion »

Thanks for the link, however, there are differences in the bluetooth config files mentioned in that post from my own. I ran into the same problem at this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=594624

There is no such file as /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf on my system. There are other conf files in that directory, but -without knowing what I'm doing- I'd prefer not to mess with them. Those files are:

main.conf
rfcomm.conf
network.conf
input.conf
audio.conf

(none of these files show similarities to the format shown in the above link)

Which is unfortunate because that person has the exact some keyboard setup as I do. I am able to find all the MAC addresses of my components, and I can even eventually locate them with the bluetooth manager on my desktop, but it does not remember after I restart my computer and I still have to unplug/plugin the dongle at the login screen to be recognized.

What file other than hcid.conf could I add something similar to the suggested below?

Code: Select all

device KEYBOARD_ADDR1 {
	name "Logitech diNovo Keyboard";
	auth enable;
	encrypt enable;
}

device KEYBOARD_ADDR2 {
	name "Logitech Mediapad";
	auth enable;
	encrypt enable;
}

device MOUSE_ADDR1 {
	name "Logitech MX1000 mouse"
}

device MOUSE_ADDR2 {
	name "Bluetooth travel mouse"
}

Additionally, my /etc/default/bluetooth file only has HID2HCI_ENABLED and not the HIDD_ENABLED variable. Are these the same thing, essentially, just another version? I did try adding HIDD_ENABLED=1 to the file, but it has no effect.
DrHu

Re: Keyboard and Mouse Unresponsive Until Reconnected

Post by DrHu »

Beyond Aphelion wrote:What file other than hcid.conf could I add something similar to the suggested below?
And did you check the files or dmesg after replugging the dingle while booting to see if any data from your devices appears in those files, or that dmesg indicates which file might is being used for the configuration of that device ?

What will happen if you actually created that file hcid.conf with the location /etc/bluetooth
--maybe as an empty file, to see if it fills in by the OS, or as the actual contents you have indicated

I don't have a bluetooth device, but I do have the files you list, as Bluetooth is installed automatically by Mint 7 -gloria
--I see /etc/bluetooth/input.conf, main.conf, rfcomm.conf , I would look through the contents of those files and see which is the likely headings that might match..
--as the possible files to use to insert your bluetooth device data

# Configuration file for the input service

# This section contains options which are not specific to any
# particular interface
[General]

# Set idle timeout (in minutes) before the connection will
# be disconnect (defaults to 0 for no timeout)
#IdleTimeout=30
Like this one rfcomm.conf in /etc/bluetooth

# RFCOMM configuration file.
#

#rfcomm0 {
#	# Automatically bind the device at startup
#	bind no;
#
#	# Bluetooth address of the device
#	device 11:22:33:44:55:66; 
#	# RFCOMM channel for the connection