Do I need a firewall and antivirus stuff?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
the lemming
Level 1
Level 1

Do I need a firewall and antivirus stuff?

Post by the lemming »

Hello

Having only played in a Microsoft world I am all too aware of hackers, viruses and spyware.

Now that I have decided to move over to Linux Mint do I need any kind of protection while surfing?

I only ask as I went to a site which tested for vulnrabilities and it got me wondering as I had failed some tests.

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

no, here is why:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e-firewall

and welcome to the free world lemming!
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

firestarter for gnome and guarddog for KDE seem to be the most popular solutions - I've used them both and they are super-easy... extremely light no resources.... come to think of it they take up NO resources since they are only GUI frontends for configuring IPtables - which is an integral part of linux :)
and of course no annoying popups of any kind...

I've tried both and decided I have no use for it.... been using bianca stable since it was released (well ... almost since it was released) :)
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Do I need a firewall and antivirus stuff?

Post by scorp123 »

the lemming wrote:I only ask as I went to a site which tested for vulnrabilities and it got me wondering as I had failed some tests.
Can you please give more details about this? What site and which test did you fail? You have to be cautious with such sites, especially if they belong to a vendor of anti-virus software and such. Even though you are probably perfectly safe such sites will try to make you believe that you absolutely need their products ... :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”