New to the world of Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
the lemming
Level 1
Level 1

New to the world of Linux

Post by the lemming »

Hello

I have had a bad experience with Vista and had a look around for something different and with a bit of googling I learnt about Linux. I had a go with ubuntu 7.04 but after a weekend of frustration I could not get a stable setup.

So I am now on the lookout for another operating system to try. Seeing as I am exceptionally green behind the ears could somebody please explain how I set up / format my hard drives in preperation for a dual boot of Linux Mint and Microsoft XP.

My computer spec is:

AMD 64 3400+ processor 2205MHz
2gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Graphics card
1 DVD Re-write drive
1 DVD Read only drive
2 Hard Drives 112GB
2 External Hard Drives (USB)
Belkin 802.11g wireless card model F5D 7000uk
Medion TV-Tuner 7134 MK 2/3

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

OK Mr Lemming, greetings and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, this is how I would go about it.

1. In XP do a disc cleanup and then a disc defrag.

2. Pop in a Linux Mint live cd, and reboot, set bios to cd boot.

3. Go with all the default settings and Mint will partition and setup Dual Boot for you.

4. Remove Live cd and reboot, choose your OS.

:D
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Hi can I also suggest you go here

http://www.linuxreality.com/

Listen to the audiocasts and they will bring you up to a decent level of understanding in no time at all.
the lemming
Level 1
Level 1

Post by the lemming »

Thank you for the quick replies and helpful advice.

May I ask which version of minty I should download?

Cheers
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Linux Mint 2.2 "Bianca"

This is the one I'd recommend for starters.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Hi Lemming, if you install Linux Mint 2.2 "Bianca", this is based on Ubuntu 6.10 " Edgy Eft". Mint uses the Ubuntu Repositories for obtaining software. Here is a guide to installing software on Mint 2.2 "Bianca"

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy

:D
the lemming
Level 1
Level 1

wow. And I mean wow

Post by the lemming »

Hi chaps

Out of curiosity I downloaded the beta version and ran it on my Laptop and I was gobsmacked when I could get a connection with my wireless router. I have tried a couple of distros and none of which could get access to the router.

The only downer is that the Live CD did not have Firefox for me to play with. I am now going to run over to my Desktop and if I can access my router, which I must say is WAP2 encrypted, I am going to install it straight away.

My next question is, how do I install stuff?

Cheers
mib924
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mib924 »

Mint uses the deb package format. And to it there is a good install tool called synaptic. You can find it when you open the program menu(install software).
From there just search what you want. If you dont know what to search for then you have the sections button, where all programs are split into sections(multimedia, development, graphic, ...).

If you have a package you have found online, you just need to dubbleclick on it and it will be installed. Thats if all the dependencies are met. I hope this answer your question in some degree.
whare1
Level 2
Level 2

Re: wow. And I mean wow

Post by whare1 »

the lemming wrote: The only downer is that the Live CD did not have Firefox for me to play with.
Welcome mate Newbe myself

Anyway firefox is on 3.0 "Cassandra"

If you click where it say Cassandra in the bottom left corner it will bring up the mint menu (I think by defult it is set on the favorites tab so click where is says "All Applications" in the top right of the menu and you should see a list of stuff to play with including internet and firefox will be in there

Hope this help alittle at least

Thanx
Will
I've Been
Minted

Running Mint 9 KDE
Running Mint 9 Gnome
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

We have so quality tutorials in our own wiki ppl - use them :)

here is how to dual boot for dummies :lol:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ot_with_XP
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

And here are some advice on partitioning
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
to put home on its own partition is highly recommendable
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:And here are some advice on partitioning
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
to put home on its own partition is highly recommendable
I see that the text was "borrowed" from one of my postings here :D .... but the formatting is messed up in some instances? :?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

NiksaVel wrote:Quote:
Microsoft isn't but a toy for me, something I use in order to have fun. Ahemmmm ... Like a condom :D You use it, you have fun, then you throw it away and get back to serious business again. -scorp123
Seems you like that one, he? :lol:
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

"prejebeno" :D
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

scorp123 wrote
I see that the text was "borrowed" from one of my postings here .... but the formatting is messed up in some instances?
Yes - I took the liberty of doing that :)
I've gone through the wiki and fixed the formatting. Strange things happen if you do not begin the text at the beginning of the line :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”