Create an illistrated web magazine

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Create an illistrated web magazine

Post by exploder »

Have you ever seen Full Circle Magazine? It has articles, pictures, How To's, etc. What if LinuxMint had something along these lines? Maybe have articles about new features, development, community editions, interviews, How To's and some nice graphics. Maybe use the pdf format for distribution? There are always new and improved tools going into Mint releases, a magazine might be a good way to advertise all of the improved usability features that are incorporated into Mint.

Our community editions could be featured with highlights of the features they contain. There are a lot of good features that go un-noticed in reviews. Have articles on how to work around important issues, like the Intel issue and things like that so people are more aware that these things can be fixed. Maybe have something about what goes into the making of our releases and how they differ from the base they are built from. Maybe feature some articles on creating artwork, we have some very talented artists in the community that go above and beyond to help others.

Maybe interview some team members so the community might get to know them a little better. There are plenty of sources of interest to write about and including some screen shots would provide a nice professional look.

Our best promotion will always be the quality of what we release and the community that supports us. This is just a rough idea but with the right people it could help promote Mint in a big way.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Create an illistrated web magazine

Post by slider »

Exploder thats the best idea Ive ever heard! Great thinking!

If you do it let some of us know if you need help....
johonunu

Post by johonunu »

I was thinking the same the other day :D This is great idea and I would like to be involved in it somehow !
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

Really a good idea.... Let's do a Mint-A-Zine :mrgreen:
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Just happened to see this post. I am willing to participate if this ever gets off the ground.

I use to be a high school teacher, so if any proof-reading is required for grammatical and spelling errors, I am willing to do this.

A good title would definitely be the key to this, but something that is really catchy. Linux Mint Magazine is too plain, but not counted out. Just a thought though, I think Elegance Magazine would be decent. Dunno, may be a bit corny and wouldn't give the focus of the magazine as it should.

But technically, this would be more of a Webzine vs. a magazine.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I think it would be cool if the title had something to do with mints or a play on the word mint
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Anyone care to try and organise this? :mrgreen:
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

exploder wrote:Anyone care to try and organise this? :mrgreen:
This is your idea, you organize it :P j/k

I think this would be an excellent idea and if it can be pulled off, it'll place us a lot higher in the Linux "food chain" so to speak.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Maybe just one logo but I think you are on to something! Maybe the logo and text with something like, " The magazine by the LinuxMint community for the LinuxMint community" or something to that effect.
johonunu

Post by johonunu »

Here is my try on frontpage for Linux Mint magazine :

Hope yo like it ;)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

johonunu, now that is eye catching! I love the way you have graphics for the stories on the cover! That looks like an online magazine I would want to read!
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

I totally agree... very nice job!
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

Great artwork :D
This looks like a magazine i would like tu buy :wink:
Btw.: What do you think about a subforum to organize and discuss all magazine related topics?
johonunu

Post by johonunu »

Thank you all ;)
I have made some corrections on front page of the magazine, added web 2.0 kinda badge to fill some space on the top and moved date and number of the magazine to the center (I am not sure about this). Please comment this if you want that I improve it ! Here is updated version :

miket

Post by miket »

Awesome frontpage, I'd pay for something that looks that good !
I'd also like to see a commercial side to the magazine, interviewing some of the companies that are using/supporting Mint
and get their take on things and how they'd like to see Mint progress in the future.

MikeT.
johonunu wrote:Here is my try on frontpage for Linux Mint magazine :

Hope yo like it ;)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I think this looks like the front page of a professional publication!
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !

I prefer the date as it was on the 1st version, to the right of the page, but it's a minor issue on an overall excellent design !

MikeT.
johonunu wrote:Thank you all ;)
I have made some corrections on front page of the magazine, added web 2.0 kinda badge to fill some space on the top and moved date and number of the magazine to the center (I am not sure about this). Please comment this if you want that I improve it ! Here is updated version :

johonunu

Post by johonunu »

@exploader
Thank you :)

@miket
Thanks :) Well as I said I am not sure about it, so I'll stick to the first verison ;)

@Ozz
I would also like to write some articles, but I can also do some artwork. It would be really good to make a team so we can start on it sooner :) I am quite busy, I have one heavy exam in september, so I have to study, but I can find some time to write an article and some artwork ;)

I took some ideas from the best Serbian IT magazine called : "Svet Kompjutera" (eng. "World of Computers"), see the picture below (couldn't find bigger picture :() :

slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Ozz

You seem to be very organized about this already with a definitive direction and that is a great start!

I figured Exploder would be the team leader on this, but I know that he is pretty busy with a lot of other duties for Mint and may not have the time.

I think that you might be a good candidate for a team leader, or both of you (Exploder) could manage this project. Depending of coarse if you both have the time to donate.

Clem and Husse may want a say in this as well as this publication will directly involve Linux Mint's branding and reputation.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Johonunu

Your idea looks great dude, but with a few exceptions IMHO as listed below:

*Decrease the size of the icons at the bottom of the page. They are far too big and draw too much attention away from the main purpose of the project... Mint!

*While the "No 1" looks ok, I believe that "Volume 1" or even "Vol. 1" may be a little more professional looking?

*The "new" badge seems a little large for the page. I realize that this badge would probably only be used on the first issue or two though while the publication is considered new.

Other than that it looks like a very nice concept. Good job!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”