Questions Regarding Adobe Flash 10

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
optimize me

Re: Questions Regarding Adobe Flash 10

Post by optimize me »

It's not your computer - it's Flash*.

My laptop is fairly modern - a 1.73GHz dual-core P4 processor and a GB of RAM, and Flash videos & games all but max out both cores of my processor - anywhere from 40 to 85% is average.

If all you want Flash for is videos, then Gnash is a decent alternative. If you play flash games, too, you'll have to dig around and see what else there is for that.

* I say it's Flash, but it could just as easily be Linux itself is the culprit. The Flash 10 Plugin worked fine for me in Hardy Heron (with kernel 2.6.24-16) and was even a good (if proprietary) solution to the barely-functional, half-assed Flash mock-up that came in Ubuntu repos at the time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Did you try installing the other Adobe flashplugin?

If not, in terminal

Code: Select all

apt remove flashplugin-nonfree && apt install adobe-flashplugin
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

proxima_centauri wrote:Did you try installing the other Adobe flashplugin?

If not, in terminal

Code: Select all

apt remove flashplugin-nonfree && apt install adobe-flashplugin
I tried that after I saw your suggestion, and I can't say I noticed a change in performance either for the good or for the bad...
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

It's the official flash plugin from Adobe.

It improves performance in some cases, but not all.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

One thing I did just try, and may be worth investigating for OP:

After removing one version of flsah, trying the other and not being impressed, and then reverting back to the original version, and then having issues where I couldn't watch YouTube videos for some reason, I removed all instances of Flash (adobe-flashplugin and/or flashplugin-nonfree) in Synaptic. I went to the Flash site and downloaded the latest .deb (here: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl ... _linux.deb), ran the installer, and left it at that.

My Flash now works flawlessly - no stuttering or flashing in videos or games. MintUpdate wants to update from package 10.0.22.87-1 to 10.0.22.87-2jaunty1, but I'm not going to let it.

Give that package a try, OP, and post back if it works better for you.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

pollywog wrote:
optimize me wrote:I removed all instances of Flash (adobe-flashplugin and/or flashplugin-nonfree) in Synaptic.
How do I do this?
Open the Package Manager, i.e. Synaptic, seek what you want to remove, right-click on it and choose remove... then click on Apply, in the icons at top of the window.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
brian36

Post by brian36 »

I just want to add that I had this problem before, when I upgraded. This time I upgraded to Flash 10.0.32.18-1 - my fault in just clicking OK on the updates! Now e.g. Youtube shows: "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player. " I tried removing all occurrences of flash and firefox and installed again. I DO know that FF prefs and addons were retained. Short of deleting the Mozilla folder and starting afresh - there must be an easier way.

Return to “Sound”