Create an illistrated web magazine

Share your ideas on how we can get Linux Mint better known
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Re: Create an illistrated web magazine

Postby Ozz on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:20 am

Count me in to write some articles. Really good idea. Like Full Circle which I read a lot, we would need to have some How-to's, interviews etc.., reviews of software, maybe run through what the updates of the month bring to the distro, a reader's section, possibly even advertising for some of the softwares out there on each page (logo, small captions etc...), links to some good blogs on Linux; Ubuntu and Mint (This is something that people would probably like), small competitions.
The magazine will need to federate Mint users, and give other people a taste of what a great OS Linux Mint is!

Myself, I could look after the section detailing some industry news + write a I would need to liaise with Clem, so that the information he gives in his newsletter (An excellent read that I look forward to every month) could be mirrored on the magazine.

There are some important questions we need to consider before all the "packaging".

We would need to fix up a project team, with a project leader. Make sure we know all the sections that will be there before we even start, thus providing a framework for all the future issues that we will hopefully come up with, and for each section assign a person responsible for making sure it is there before the deadline. If you know any collaborative software like Google docs, that 10 or more people can access to feed updates on progress it would be good.

We might need a section on the forum, or put special headings on the posts so that we can also touch base with the Linux Mint Community.

Questions:
Who is the leader?
Who would like to participate? Draw up a list, get the contact details etc..
Who would host it? Only 10 might download it, then again maybe a 1000, who knows...
Format? Online websity kinda thing, or PDF downloadable document? Size matters, lets keep it under 4 megs
Would it come out monthly? Every three months?
Content: How would it differ from the Full Circle Magazine? Would we just be writing the same articles or adding some mintyness to the whole thing?
Marketing of the magazine: We need to get it out here on Digg, forums, google SEO, etc...
Proof reading: we should use the services of Dlkcreations for Grsammar, but also (and I believe in freedom of the press), maybe an approval from the Mint team before it goes in the press.

Above all we need a structure to prevent the project from fizzling out! :D

I think this was a great idea!
Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby johonunu on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:31 am

@exploader
Thank you :)

@miket
Thanks :) Well as I said I am not sure about it, so I'll stick to the first verison ;)

@Ozz
I would also like to write some articles, but I can also do some artwork. It would be really good to make a team so we can start on it sooner :) I am quite busy, I have one heavy exam in september, so I have to study, but I can find some time to write an article and some artwork ;)

I took some ideas from the best Serbian IT magazine called : "Svet Kompjutera" (eng. "World of Computers"), see the picture below (couldn't find bigger picture :() :

My Minty Laptop Configuration
Lenovo G550
4GB DDR3
Nvidia G105M
300 GB HDD
http://www.trifunovic.me/
johonunu
Level 3
Level 3

Postby slider on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:00 am

Ozz

You seem to be very organized about this already with a definitive direction and that is a great start!

I figured Exploder would be the team leader on this, but I know that he is pretty busy with a lot of other duties for Mint and may not have the time.

I think that you might be a good candidate for a team leader, or both of you (Exploder) could manage this project. Depending of coarse if you both have the time to donate.

Clem and Husse may want a say in this as well as this publication will directly involve Linux Mint's branding and reputation.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Postby slider on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:13 am

Johonunu

Your idea looks great dude, but with a few exceptions IMHO as listed below:

*Decrease the size of the icons at the bottom of the page. They are far too big and draw too much attention away from the main purpose of the project... Mint!

*While the "No 1" looks ok, I believe that "Volume 1" or even "Vol. 1" may be a little more professional looking?

*The "new" badge seems a little large for the page. I realize that this badge would probably only be used on the first issue or two though while the publication is considered new.

Other than that it looks like a very nice concept. Good job!
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Ozz on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:20 am

Oh, I have the ideas and such things, but I am not good at leading projects. I don't really have the experience and know-how to conduct this. I could be the number 2, in the shadows helping to coordinate and keep everyone on track for sure.

Here is the list of potentially interested people (A lot of the usual suspects from this forum 8) )

Exploder (Artwork?)
Slider (Articles)
Johonunu: (Artwork?)
Dllkreations (Proof-reading, I am an ex-teacher myself, and like to see good spelling, to start off with this post: Illustrated not illistrated :wink: , probably a typo with i key next to u key)
Dakinsster (Artwork?)
Ozz (Articles, admin?)
Miket?
Carl ?
Thhx1138 ?

We would need more people for content

We would need to really establish who the leader is, and then I can go to him and get things started.

What would our means of communication be? This post on the forum will quickly become cluttered if we go ahead.

Finally, I might sign on to twitter or whatever the linux equivalent, for a worthwhile reason :lol:

:wink: Nice artwork by the way.

Just looked into Full Circle, they use Scribus, Open-Office, GIMP, and Creative Commons (To find licensed works you can share, remix, or reuse)
Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Postby johonunu on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:52 am

Here is frontpage with small corections, sugested by slider :
P.S. I removed bedge, I liked it to be more clean !

I made frontpage in A4 format. Is this ok for the size of magazine ? Because Full Circle isn't A4 from what I can see !
I said I can do artwork and write some articles, not just artwork ;)
My Minty Laptop Configuration
Lenovo G550
4GB DDR3
Nvidia G105M
300 GB HDD
http://www.trifunovic.me/
johonunu
Level 3
Level 3

Postby thx1138 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:38 pm

I'd like to write an article (with screenshots) about some useful programs for the terminal. Just to show new users that the terminal is nothing to be afraid of ;)
thx1138
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Ozz on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:06 pm

I would be interested in that :D

So where do we go from there? We must not let this project go down :D

I have some DIY to do this week-end, but maybe things can get started.
Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Scoops on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi all. Just stumbled across this post. I'm very new to linux.

I've been experimenting with mint for almost 2 months now. As an out and out total new user I think this is a very good idea and will be very keen to see Volume 1 and many more to follow. Maybe even contribute to it one day.

I just wanted to encourage this along as I think it's a brilliant idea.

Regards to all,
Scoops
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Erdejo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:47 am

(Edit: sorry, it looks like I posted double...: see next page)

Well, I just stumbled onto this post as Newbie Linux Mint user looking for a magazine....... Event hough I have only been using this for about a week (or two) I really love the distro! In fact, I am so enthusiastic that I have convinced two of my friends/colleagues to start dual booting their netbooks (I currently run it on my Asus-1000H) as well! And I am helping them with the install!
Anyway, I am starting to ramble.... One of the last posts stated that we needed to keep this thing going... What happened to that? It has been a month since the last (useful) post and nothing seems to have been done since then?!?! What's going on? Did it already die a silent death? That would be a shame.
I have done some Technical writing and illustrating in the past and I am also willing to put some effort into doing some proofreading and checking/correcting. Later on, when I have some more experience, I wouldn't mind contributing in other ways as well.

So, let me know where this thing is at and I will be back.......

Regards, Eric.
Last edited by Erdejo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have a photogenic memory.....: I don't know much, but what I do know looks really, really good on camera.....!
Erdejo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Erdejo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:49 am

Well, I just stumbled onto this post as Newbie Linux Mint user looking for a magazine....... Event hough I have only been using this for about a week (or two) I really love the distro! In fact, I am so enthusiastic that I have convinced two of my friends/colleagues to start dual booting their netbooks (I currently run it on my Asus-1000H) as well! And I am helping them with the install!
Anyway, I am starting to ramble.... One of the last posts stated that we needed to keep this thing going... What happened to that? It has been a month since the last (useful) post and nothing seems to have been done since then?!?! What's going on? Did it already die a silent death? That would be a shame.
I have done some Technical writing and illustrating in the past and I am also willing to put some effort into doing some proofreading and checking/correcting. Later on, when I have some more experience, I wouldn't mind contributing in other ways as well.

So, let me know where this thing is at and I will be back.......

Regards, Eric.
I have a photogenic memory.....: I don't know much, but what I do know looks really, really good on camera.....!
Erdejo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Erdejo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:54 am

Oh, btw, I forgot to say that I absolutely love the front page that johonunu made! Very, very stylish.
One thing though: I do like the "new" badge, but I agree that it was a little big. What you can do is keep the date on the right (like that position), make the badge a little smaller and then put that on the left side of the page (same height as where it was before) to balance the date out a little.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Eric
Erdejo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ibm450 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:09 am

holy dooly batman!! what a fantastic idea.......sooo.......what now? wheres the progress? :shock:
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:59 pm

I would be willing to try and write some articles in my spare time if someone wants to step up and put this together. The suggested artwork looks very professional! What format should we use for this? Should this be a monthly or quarterly magazine? I get pretty involved in testing sometimes but I would like to see this happen if possible. Ubuntu has "Full Circle" and it is pretty darn good, we might be able to offer some competition!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby mercmonster on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:31 am

I have used many versions of linux over the last couple of years trying to replace windows. I did not try Linux Mint until a week ago. Two days ago I wiped windows all together and have not had to use virtualbox install yet. I am happy with it and I believe that the developers and the community has created a version of linux that could be very useful for the desktop community. Now with that said I have a few questions about this thread:

I was wondering if this is still something that you guys are interested in?

If so, are you looking at setting up a website and also having a format that can be distributed?
How would you distribute it? Newsletter?

I see that there are some very talented people in this community, would you hold contests for cover and internal art?

I believe I could come up with a million questions, I really would like to know what you want and how you would want to do it. I really would like to be involved!
mercmonster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby beauvin on Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Well i too think this is a great ideea, so i talked to johonunu who created the main page and got a couple of mockups of how the magazine might look like.To make the magazine a reality we need more people, who can write articles, create graphics and more importantly a team leader to coordinate all that chaos :). I can create graphics but unfortunately that's all i can do, to make things worse the promotion forum is not that active anymore so putting togheter a team might be very hard :(.

Heres what i've done so far, johonunu already saw these. Oh and sorry for my awfull english!

beauvin
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Colonel Schell on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:09 pm

I could contribute a not-too-technical article now and then, provided I don't have to write it in Latin.
Registered Linux User#497028; Registered Linux Machine #408808.
Want to get rid of old hardware? http://computersforcharity.webs.com/ or http://freegeekcolumbus.org/
Colonel Schell
Level 3
Level 3

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:11 pm

I would also like to contribute articles, I have a broad knowledge of Linux technologies, but I often struggle on the creative side, so would appreciate suggestions on what to write an article on.

EDIT: yeah, I'll be an editor too (please exploder, it's illustrated!)
Last edited by emorrp1 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Colonel Schell on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:25 pm

Perhaps technical people and those with some writing skill could collaborate...not that there's anything wrong with your prose, emorp-man.

Alternatively, those who wish to write an article in English who are not native speakers could collaborate with a native English speaker to smooth out the style and presentation.
Registered Linux User#497028; Registered Linux Machine #408808.
Want to get rid of old hardware? http://computersforcharity.webs.com/ or http://freegeekcolumbus.org/
Colonel Schell
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ibm450 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm

cool, so lets get on with it....too much talk, lets start.

i could help with editing.
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Promotion