Creative X-Fi Fatality working 5.1 surround w/ ALSA 1.0.20

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
virtuox

Creative X-Fi Fatality working 5.1 surround w/ ALSA 1.0.20

Post by virtuox »

Hello everyone I just installed Linux Mint 7 on my main computer and everything worked perfect except for my sound card.

After a massive search used creative 1.00 driver for basic 2 channel audio support, but of course I was not satisfied and wanted my card to have full capabilities like on Windows 7.

So I updated my ALSA drivers from 1.0.18rc3 to 1.0.20 and rebooted. Upon my reboot only null pulse audio showed up my oss and alsa options had disappeared from volume control. Problem was that it could not recognize/detect my soundcard.

I came on the site and found the test file for the xfile driver "[url]ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz[/url]" so I installed it and rebooted and voila!

Working sound card, so i went ahead into control panel added the other options and unmuted them such as Surround, Side, Center/LFE, and any other playback options and made sure to unmute them and set them to max.

I tested several mkv files with DTS 5.1 audio and ac3 audio and all channels work perfectly after properly configuring audio on SMPlayer.

I have a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality soundcard. So I just wanted to give a heads up the developers to let them know this driver works well and enables 5.1 surround in linux. I am on Linux Mint 7 (Gloria) x86_64 version.

This unstable-snapshot driver needs testers so I tested it and it works beautifully.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Creative X-Fi Fatality working 5.1 surround w/ ALSA 1.0.20

Post by Husse »

Thanks for the info
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

Thanks for the great info... but no luck here. I am very much a Linux newbie though when it comes to installing drivers. I followed the directions, but I was unable to edit the kernel module config as apparently neither file suggested exists on Mint (the commands just created empty files), and I have no idea what to put for the modprobe command (snd-WHAT???). And, unfortunately, the alsaconf script isn't available either.

I would love to get this working though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

UPDATE: The sound now works, sort of. My card is the XTreme Gamer Model# SB0770. I still get no bootup system sound, or sound from Gnome Movie Player or VLC. But... I do get sound out of the default movie player. But it hangs and just repeats a loop of sound like it's stuck. Something isn't right somewhere. Must be a conflict of some kind, but I don't know how to fix it.

Return to “Hardware Support”