Linux Mint 7 XFCE RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 7 XFCE RC1 Bug Thread

Post by clem »

This thread is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 7 XFCE RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
rekik

Re: Linux Mint 7 XFCE RC1 Bug Thread

Post by rekik »

apt-get command can't download packages with a proxy needing authentication.
Synaptic works fine. Mintupdate works also (with a modification in /etc/apt/apt.conf described elsewhere in the forum).
With Mint XFCE 6 apt-get command works like a charme in the same PC.
Steely

Post by Steely »

Fairly stable so far except for 2 issues.

NTP is not installed so the time is not correct / synched . Going to Time and Date in the System Menu and installing ntp from there and synchronizing and a reboot resolved that issue.

I know there is already a tool for starting compiz but I also like to have fusion-icon installed , however , it has some pretty wild and potentially harmful dependencies.

compiz-kde compizconfig-backend-kconfig exiv2 kde-icons-oxygen
kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data
kdebase-runtime-data-common kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 kdelibs-bin
kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data khelpcenter4 libavahi-qt3-1
libclucene0ldbl libexiv2-5 libkdecorations4 liblua50 liblualib50 libphonon4
libplasma3 libpq5 libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-network libqt4-opengl
libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-svg
libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqtcore4 libqtgui4 librasqal1 librdf0 libsoprano4
libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-xv0 libxine1
libxine1-bin libxine1-console libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-x phonon
phonon-backend-xine qt4-qtconfig redland-utils soprano-daemon

Also upgraded to a newer version of pidgin. Selected to completely remove pidgin and pidgin-data in synaptic ( it will also mark other items for pidgin ) and then upgraded to the latest version on removed. No issues with yahoo authentication.

Dale
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Steely, thanks for reporting these bugs and especially for providing the solutions! :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

kidtienk, welcome to the forum! Hardware compatibility for the Xfce CE is similar to Xubuntu 9.04, however someone in the forum my have a solution to the hardware issue that you are refering to. I believe there are some xorg updates available, might be worth a try.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Steely wrote:Fairly stable so far except for 2 issues.

NTP is not installed so the time is not correct / synched . Going to Time and Date in the System Menu and installing ntp from there and synchronizing and a reboot resolved that issue.

I know there is already a tool for starting compiz but I also like to have fusion-icon installed , however , it has some pretty wild and potentially harmful dependencies.

compiz-kde compizconfig-backend-kconfig exiv2 kde-icons-oxygen
kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data
kdebase-runtime-data-common kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 kdelibs-bin
kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data khelpcenter4 libavahi-qt3-1
libclucene0ldbl libexiv2-5 libkdecorations4 liblua50 liblualib50 libphonon4
libplasma3 libpq5 libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-network libqt4-opengl
libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-svg
libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqtcore4 libqtgui4 librasqal1 librdf0 libsoprano4
libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-xv0 libxine1
libxine1-bin libxine1-console libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-x phonon
phonon-backend-xine qt4-qtconfig redland-utils soprano-daemon

Also upgraded to a newer version of pidgin. Selected to completely remove pidgin and pidgin-data in synaptic ( it will also mark other items for pidgin ) and then upgraded to the latest version on removed. No issues with yahoo authentication.

Dale
NTP has never been installed by default.
Install compiz-gnome and compiz 1st and fusion-icon won't show those as dependencies.
The version of pidgin installed works fine with Yahoo, so no need to update this for the fix.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

rekik wrote:apt-get command can't download packages with a proxy needing authentication.
Synaptic works fine. Mintupdate works also (with a modification in /etc/apt/apt.conf described elsewhere in the forum).
With Mint XFCE 6 apt-get command works like a charme in the same PC.
Menu --> Settings --> Network Proxy.
Then applying system wide doesn't work?
Steely

Post by Steely »

Thanks merlwiz

When installing mint 7 xfce rc1 I don't remember seeing the installer connecting to a network time server. The incorrect time being displayed on the clock is something that has never happened on any previous mint installs including xfce.

I just finished reading that there was an update a few weeks ago to pidgin that resolved the issues with version 1.2.5. I was not aware of that so I went ahead and removed the installed version and replaced it with 2.5.8.

Not sure why fusion-icon would default to kde dependencies instead of gnome, however , I have my fusion-icon again.

Dale
rekik

Post by rekik »

Thanks for you reply
Menu --> Settings --> Network Proxy.
Then applying system wide doesn't work?
No, it does'nt work, and I always get the following error message :

Err http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty-updates/main libqtcore4 4.5.0-0ubuntu4.1
407 Proxy Authentication Required

I have tried Mint Gloria Main edition (as live CD) this morning to check if it was related to XFCE CE or to Gloria, and it worked fine in Main edition. So it's an XFCE related problem.
May be a conflict between the two networks managers, "WICD Network Manager" and "Network" ?
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

I have this installed on my HP-2133 MiniNote. It's working well so far. However, I did have to add a line to the xorg.conf to keep the screen size correct. As well, when I log in, it doesn't keep my last session, though that is what is checked when I log out.

Thanks for the great work.

Scott
Aburger

Post by Aburger »

So far stable. Just one minor bug. When I install midbrowser, either with mintinstall or with synaptic, it does not appear in the menu. Other programs like Opera or tea editor do appear as does midbrowser in Linux Mint 7 main edition. :?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Cannot install the xfce desktop from up-to-date (lvls 1-3) Gloria main (VM, all repos enabled) using mint-meta-xfce (v0.6)
Just checked, get the same error (through terminal, synaptic refused to find it) just applying lvls 1/2 in a VM with default repos + community, with mint-meta-xfce
Synaptic wrote:Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade

The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. Make sure that all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences.

mint-meta-xfce:
Depends: xfcemint-doc but it is not installable
Recommends: gnome-network-properties but it is not going to be installed
also listed to be removed: mint-artwork-gnome, mint-meta-gnome, mint-meta-main, network-manager, network-manager-gnome Are all these conflicts necessary, in particular it should be possible to install mint-meta-xfce without removing mint-meta-main

p.s. libavcodec52 and libavutil49 are also removed on install, is there a specific reason for this?
JesterRaiin

Post by JesterRaiin »

I made full update just after fresh install.
Everything went ok, but after restart there is no desktop.
No wallpaper, no icons, no response to right-click.

Also, mintUpdate displays "broken" lock and indicates that "the rules cannot be obtained/downloaded" (loose translation from Polish).
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

The Broadcom Gigabit NIC on my system is not enabled by default. The system detects it and installs the appropriate support, because all I have to do is click on the Network tray item and hit connect. But in order to get it to connect automatically at boot up I have to go into the control panel and enable the device and set it to DHCP mode.

This has always worked fine in the GNOME main edition, but has been an issue with the Xfce edition for the last few releases (Mint 5, 6, & 7).

This is just a "gut feeling" guess, but it seems to be a problem with the Xfce version wanting to use a wireless connection over the wired one, even when there is no wireless device present.

Hardware:
Shuttle SB75G2 XPC
Intel 875/ICH5R mainboard
Realtek ALC650F audio (on board ICH5)
Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5788 Gigabit Ethernet (on board)
Intel P4 3.4 GHz HT CPU
OCZ PC3200 RAM (2GB)
ATI Radeon RV570 512MB (X1950 Pro AGP)
2x Hitachi 100GB HDD in SATA RAID-0 (fake RAID) *not used for testing Xfce version
Seagate 750GB IDE HDD (ST3750640A)
Pioneer DVD burner (DVR-111D)
Altec Lansing ADA890 digital speakers
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

emorrp1 wrote:Cannot install the xfce desktop from up-to-date (lvls 1-3) Gloria main (VM, all repos enabled) using mint-meta-xfce (v0.6)
Just checked, get the same error (through terminal, synaptic refused to find it) just applying lvls 1/2 in a VM with default repos + community, with mint-meta-xfce

also listed to be removed: mint-artwork-gnome, mint-meta-gnome, mint-meta-main, network-manager, network-manager-gnome Are all these conflicts necessary, in particular it should be possible to install mint-meta-xfce without removing mint-meta-main

p.s. libavcodec52 and libavutil49 are also removed on install, is there a specific reason for this?
Don't install mint-meta-xfce.
You should wait until it's in the Main repo, since they aren't considered stable yet.
I'll fix mint-meta-xfce so it won't uninstall parts of gnome.
I can't stop it from uninstalling mint-meta-gnome, mint-artwork-gnome, mint-meta-main.
The problem is the mint-artwork-xfce package can't be installed with mint-artwork-gnome.
This is why it wants to uninstall mint-meta-gnome, mint-artwork-gnome, mint-meta-main.
If you uninstall mint-artwork-gnome then you'll be missing the metacity themes.
If you don't install mint-artwork-xfce you'll be missing artwork needed for xfce.
The missing artwork may stop xfce from starting, I haven't tried it with the artwork missing.

libavcodec52 and libavutil49 are replaced with libavcodec-unstripped-52 and libavutil-unstripped-49.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Lolo Uila wrote:The Broadcom Gigabit NIC on my system is not enabled by default. The system detects it and installs the appropriate support, because all I have to do is click on the Network tray item and hit connect. But in order to get it to connect automatically at boot up I have to go into the control panel and enable the device and set it to DHCP mode.
What are you using to set it to DHCP mode?
Wicd should work just fine.
Just click the arrow next to wired and uncheck use as default profile.
Then click the arrow next to your wireless SSID and click Automatically connect to this network.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Thanks Merlwiz, but the problem is I do NOT have wireless, and the wired connection, even though it is the default, will not connect at boot from a fresh install (or from the live CD). The "use as default" is already checked for my wired connection, but I still have to manually click on "connect" in wicd. If I manually connect, then restart, it will not connect after the reboot and I have to manually connect again.

The way I fixed it is to go to the Xcfe4 Mint Config > Network control panel, then I open the properties for my eth0 wired connection and check the box for Enable this connection, and finally I set the configuration to Automatic/DHCP. After that it will connect each time I boot. This must be done by default in the GNOME version because I have no problems there. The network just connects and I don't have to do anything.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Numlock is getting set to off by default, but I have it set to ON in my BIOS. I really wish Ubuntu would just leave this setting alone. I know this is not a Mint problem specifically, but it's fine in the GNOME edition.

The font used for the login screen is way too small! I have a 40 inch 1080p monitor, and even on that monster I have a hard time reading it. The tiny font is also present in some applications, like VLC, and it makes them hard to use.

Main GNOME edition has the small font at login, but not in applications.

Mint7 GNOME top, Xfce bottom (and yes, these pics are 1:1):
Look how small the various menu headings are.

This happens with other apps as well, but not all (Totem is fine, for example).
Last edited by Lolo Uila on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

If I install Audacious I find that the volume control does not work, and trying to configure the audio settings causes the digital audio on my Realtek ALC650F to die completely, and there is no way to fix it other than a complete wipe and re-install of the OS. :shock:

Seriously, no combination of settings will restore audio functions (even the exact same settings that worked previously). The digital audio is gone system wide. I have to wipe the partition and re-install the OS from scratch.

This also happened in Mint6 and with the backport upgraded Audacious in Mint5, but seems to be fixed in Mint7 GNOME (Audacious works great in Gloria Main Edition - it just installs and the volume control works without any fiddling.).
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I'm really torn between the GNOME main edition and the Xfce Community Edition. It's mainly the issues above that have kept me with the main edition.

On the up side, it's nice that Emerald is installed by default for Compiz (with some nice themes). In Gloria GNOME it's not installed, and even if I install it manually there are no themes available (and nothing in Synaptic). :( I know I can find them at various places around the web, but it would be nice to have at least some by default.

Another really nice thing is that my X1950 AGP Radeon works fine now. I don't have to mess with proprietary drivers & edit config files or any of the nonsense any more. Just install Mint7, reboot and I'm ready to run Compiz. :) It works great in both the Xfce and main editions, and is faster than it ever was before (even with the proprietary drivers).

Return to “Releases & Announcements”