"Gloria" Kernel: 2.6.28-14-generic (RESTART NOT WORKING)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcurran

"Gloria" Kernel: 2.6.28-14-generic (RESTART NOT WORKING)

Post by mcurran »

Hello:

I have installed Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" (64BIT EDITION) and patched, compiled, and installed the latest kernel release (2.6.28-14-generic) in order to resolve a current IOMEM issue and fixed the GPU memory allocation for my NVIDIA 9500M GS. The current problem I'm having is that my system will not completely restart when I select the restart option from either the Mint Menu or the GDM screen. The system will go through the shutdown messages (usplash) and then immediately restartx with the bootup messages (usplash) without ever cycling power (e.g. BIOS or POST messages). My guess is that this is an ACPI issue and I would appreciate if anyone had any suggestions for me to try out; please let me know.

Thanks,

mcurran
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dlkreations

Re: "Gloria" Kernel: 2.6.28-14-generic (RESTART NOT WORKING)

Post by dlkreations »

To be honest, I am not too sure why you patched and compiled the newer kernel when you could have enabled an Ubuntu repo and updated the kernel from there. Maybe that is an issue. I am running that kernel at the moment (which I got from the repo) and it works fine for me.
mcurran

"Gloria" Kernel: (RESTART NOT WORKING) [SOLVED]

Post by mcurran »

I found the solution to my own problem by googling around - I guess this behavior is caused by the package kexec-tools: I uninstalled this package and the problem has been fixed. I also had another issue where the lcd brightness would be dimmed after each reboot or shutdown; and that has been resolved by removing this package as well. The problem was previously identified as Ubuntu bug 364889, but I guess it's not really a bug, but rather a matter of preference for whether or not this application should be installed by default.

Return to “Hardware Support”