s/pdif sound doesn't work consistently [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blevo
Level 2
Level 2

s/pdif sound doesn't work consistently [SOLVED]

Post by blevo »

I apologize in advance for this question...

no sound

Gloria KDE RC1 under multimedia system settings. Set to S/PDIF out. (must have advanced-devices checked). Clicked the test button and it worked. I was happy. VLC would play (I set it to S/PDIF out as well) and I thought I was ok to install since the sound worked. After I install from the LiveCD (and setup the sound so I could watch a video via vlc) I click on a link to see some flash vid online. No sound. Turns out I don't have sound except in those two scenarios. I don't hear anything in Amarok or system sounds.

After more experimentation, "Dragon Player" (which I had never heard of before) will play any of my video/audio perfectly. What makes this media player so special? VLC will only play the A/52 audio movies it seems and no music files.

My setup: on board HD audio S/PDIF coaxial out (what I'm trying to use) and audio through the DVI-HDMI of my ATI Radeon card.

6 devices will show up under "multimedia settings" whereas only 3 are listed under "aplay -l"
I'm only interested in getting sound to come out of spdif and hdmi. In truth, I assume analog is working. I just don't know how to get programs to realize they can output to spdif.

This post is just getting more confusing...

~Steven
Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0

edit: LOL... ok. I forgot that I might have to reboot for somethings to take effect. Amarok works now. Everything is set to come out S/PDIF. Yet I have no audio in online flash videos still.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: s/pdif sound doesn't work consistently

Post by Husse »

Given that I see HD in the line for your sound card I think it might be an Intel HDA (variation)
Thus it is very probable that the standard solution for all kinds of problems with HDA works
You change model to what ever you have or auto or some more exotic model like in this topic
You may have to try many different "models" to get it to work - brand or model ...
Note the link to a post in the Ubuntu forums for a list of "models"
blevo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: s/pdif sound doesn't work consistently

Post by blevo »

Thanks Husse!

You're probably right (ATI wouldn't put "intel" on their board...). But I just booted up and it mysteriously works now, which is good because I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working...

When I get a chance I'll have to look into getting audio thru HDMI to work. Suppose I'll post here if I succeed or have another Q

until then...[SOLVED]

Thanks again

~Steven
Husse

Re: s/pdif sound doesn't work consistently [SOLVED]

Post by Husse »

I don't want to argue with you but to make info correct for someone else reading this
ATI wouldn't put "intel" on their board...
The ATI Azalia is Intel HDA - look here
blevo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blevo »

I apologize Husse. I was agreeing with you. I meant ATI wouldn't put the name "intel" on the board or have it pop up as "intel." I trust it is the same thing as you say. Just the branding. (hah, kinda like "moontools" in that e17 OS)

~Steven
Husse

Post by Husse »

kinda like "moontools" in that e17 OS
LOL - so you've found that one....

Return to “Sound”