[SOLVED] How do you burn a DVD from ISO on Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] How do you burn a DVD from ISO on Mint?

Post by eiver »

After many failed attempts I came to the conclusion that Linux is unable burn a dvd without pain. Or maybe I do something wrong.
I tried k3b a long time ago when I still used Fedora and it produced a dvd which would not even show any file system.
Today i tried to use Brasero - (right-click on ISO in Nautilus ) and it finished with an error. I used the maximum speed.
I tried again with the lowest speed 4x and brasero reported error again.
The burned dvd looks ok but I cannot verify if all files are there.

I found many not resolved bugs on launchpad, like:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/373591

I am a bit afraid to loose even more DVDs and try k3b on Mint. I am out of DVDs anyway right now - have to buy some new ones.

I burned the same ISO on Weendoze using Nero without any problems.
In fact I burned few hundred CDs and DVDs in my life using Nero and I NEVER got a currupted disk. Never ever in my entire life.

My question is how do you successfully burn DVDs and CDs in Mint?
What software do you prefer to use?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do you burn a DVD from ISO on Mint?

Post by tinca »

eiver

It could simply be down to the make of CD or DVD that you are trying to burn to. There is no mystery to it, as most of the blanks on the market are rubbish. Go here to learn more.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

I too used Windows for most of my life, and I had plenty of failed burns, so you must have been extremely fortunate. I use both K3b and Brasero for burning, and generally I have no trouble.

But having said that, I have two DVD burners. One is the internal SATA burner and the other one is an older LG external USB. The internal SATA is bad and the external USB is good.

Best regards Keith
ell02

Post by ell02 »

On this pc brassero is bad but k3b is good.And that is using cheap bulk pack dvd's.experiment
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

RW discs so sometimes have problems, particularly when K3b or Brasero is trying to decide if they've been erased or not. Sometimes this can be resolved by reformatting the discs in a dvd recorder first. K3b often displays "erasing failed" which usually means "start again", do this and it burns the supposedly unerased disc perfectly.
Unused or record only discs are not usually a problem.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

@eiver

You are either having burner problems or media problems. K3b and Brasero both burn ISO's for me with no problems whatsoever.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

markcynt wrote:You are either having burner problems or media problems. K3b and Brasero both burn ISO's for me with no problems whatsoever.
I would agree with you if I also had any kind of problems with windows and Nero using the same burner and media.
Brasero bug I encountered is actually listed on Launchpad, so it is not only me who has this kind of issues.

I will try k3b on Mint, but maybe there is some other user-friendly software out there with which you had positive experience.

P.S I use 64-bit version of Mint - in case this could have any relevance.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have been using k3b to burn ISO's successfully for some time. I burn at the lowest speed. I always get an error message but the ISO CD or DVD always installs just fine. The md5sum is always ok. The first time I saw the error message, on a hunch I tried the ISO and it was a good install. I started seeing the error message while using Ubuntu and Mint to burn ISO's. No big deal. I am not much of a Linux techie but I guess I am just lucky.

lexon
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Hmmm maybe it is neither k3b nor brasero.
Before I tried to burn a Mondo Rescue disk (bootable). But it always crashed during boot.
Now I downloaded Clonezilla ISO, tried to burn it and: Mint detects that it is still a blank CD, but I cannot burn anything on it anymore with Brasero or k3b. They detect that data is already there. I cannot see any files though, and the CD does not boot. What is more interesting, this time a Clonezilla CD burned on Windows with Nero also does not boot. This time I used CDs rather than DVDs and also used a different computer.

So maybe it is not a k3b or brasero bug, but rather some kind of problem with bootable ISOs on linux... I don't know, now I'm lost.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

I have been using k3b to burn ISO's successfully for some time. I burn at the lowest speed. I always get an error message
In k3B, after you have identified the source iso file, allow it to compute the md5 completely BEFORE starting the burn cycle (assuming you are using the verify option). At the conclusion of the actual burn event, K3B, will extract and re-mount the burned CD or DVD. It will then compute the md5 checksum of the media burned image. At the conclusion, it will compare the two md5's. If they match "Success", if not then you will get errors.

So in summary, if you do not allow K3B to compute the md5 completely at the start, you will ALWAYS get errors after the burn if you are using the verify option.

-DataMan
lexon

Post by lexon »

Maybe I am just lucky but I will try this again. With Ubuntu 8.04, 9.10. Mint 6, Mint 7, when I burn a ISO CD or ISO DVD, I use 4x speed, select Verify data, wait until md5sum is calculated. I the select burn. k3b does its thing, suddenly stops, ejects disk. k3b has never, ever calculated a md5sum after the burn, at least for me.
I do not remember any errors using Lindows, Linspire or Freespire when burning ISO's.

When this first happened using Ubuntu 8.04 to burn a 9.10 ISO, I trashed the disc because of the error. I did a second disk. Same results. On a hunch, I tried the new ISO. It worked. I took the first disk out of the trash and it installed just fine. Ok, I had two good disk. Yes, I mentioned Ubuntu but Mint is based on Ubuntu.

The CD or DVD always installs. I have yet to burn coasters. I have burned three other Linus distros with the same results. Error, but installs and runs just fine. Go figure.

This is the error message.

lexon
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Lexon,

I suspect we're cutting "hairs" on differences between a combination of quality of the media and the quality of the CD-DVD burner. I consistently use 4x and verify with K3B and the only time I run into an error is bad media. I've been through a fair amount of different media vendors and some of them are just plain "biological matter" (as in you get what you pay for). The media that I'm currently using gives me approx 90-95% successful burns on the iso files.

As you pointed out you can get error listing and still have a usable disc. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable installing an operating system etc with an error producing disc, but hey, that's just me... :D .

-DataMan
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

lexon,
I get the same error. (mint 7 kde) Bug in K3B Verification process.
It only errors on initializing the Verification process. If I turn Verify off -> NO errors! Completes properly.
NO coasters here either.

Richard
lexon

Post by lexon »

Hi Richard

I just did the identical burn a couple minutes ago with Verify Off and no error message. Problem solved for me. I guess what I do not know will not hurt me. :D :D
I hope the OP has some success.

lexon
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Evening people,

I've had the same experience as lexon with K3b. Burn a CD or DVD and run the verify option and it always returns a message that the burn was unsuccessful. I always recheck my burns by downloading to a temp file as if beginning a copy run and checking the md5 on the downloaded .iso. It is always perferct. I just assumed it was a minor bug in K3b's verify software and ignored it.

Otherwise, K3b is the greatest thing since CDs were invented. I used to keep a copy of the other guy's OS around just to run img Burn for copying .iso files. Once I found K3b that OS was out the "Window".
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

All right, it that case I must conclude, that the Clonezilla ISO they have available for download on their web page must be invalid - it does not boot at all for me. Thanks to this discussion I ruled out problems with the burner, media, any other hardware, the operating system, and software. The only thing that remains is an invalid ISO. What troubles me, is that if such a popular program would release an ISO that cannot boot, then I would expect to find tons of info about that on Google, which I cannot.

EDIT:

Hmmmm... forget about what I wrote before. Today I tried to burn again with k3b (all settings default as before). And it magically worked and Clonezilla CD boots now. Why the previous attempts failed? I do not know that. Cannot repeat the problem. Must be these pesky gremlins again :P.

I think this topic should be deleted, since the problem I had was isolated to my case and it is not reproducible.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

eiver wrote: I think this topic should be deleted, since the problem I had was isolated to my case and it is not reproducible.
Just add Solved to the end of the topic title:
How do you burn a DVD from ISO on Mint? Solved.
atlef.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

SOLVED

Return to “Software & Applications”