Beginners Guide to Installing and Using Linux Mint 11

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richyrich

Re: Beginers Guide to Installing and Using Mint

Post by richyrich »

Found in the Newbie Guide:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872

It's a long read, but Fred gives some good advice. Swap is talked about quite a bit.

hope this helps, Richard
nahkranoth

Post by nahkranoth »

Hi everyone. I got old hp compaq n610c laptop with 2ghz pIV(but i prefere it to run with 1,2ghz:) 512mb ram and ati's 32m graphic card and i wonder if main gnome based mint 7 will run on it or should i install the one marked mint 5 LTS or community one with kde, xfce, or fluxbox based. Wich one will run smoothly on my quite old hardware and won't eat entire ram, proc and drink it all with swap area:)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

generally speaking, driver support gets better with later releases, particularly for old hardware. I'd suggest you just try out the LiveCDs and see which works best.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Hi,
I am in the process of downloading Gloria and have tried several times to download the user guide but get a blank page each time. Same thing happened when i tried to download it from Linux Mint home page. I am already using Jaunty and would like to dual-boot with it. Could you please look into the link for the User guide that you have provided? Thanks and greetings to everyone here. :)
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

mzsade: I have verified that this link works (right-click > save as): http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.pdf Perhaps you're clicking on the wrong link, or maybe there's a problem with your internet connection.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Thanks buddo, just kicked myself in the butt, oh yes, i can do that, i am very flexible--right click and save, huh?, and i thought a simple left click would take me there... :D I am going to enjoy being here after being banned by the politically correct hypocrites of Ubuntu forums. I am perfectly harmless, i assure you.
Regards,
mzsade
truckerjay

Post by truckerjay »

I would like to know since I installed mint on my laptop how do I check all of my drives? Also hardware?
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

To know about your "drives" (they are called devices in Linux and instead of the letters C, D, etc. are named /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 and so on).

To know about your system hardware, try this: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/system-hardwa ... ports.html.
Good luck
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Guess what? I just installed hardinfo, it's showing as installed in my package manager, but i can't find in anywhere among all the applications in the menu. I think we both need guidance here.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I also can't find it in the menu, you probably have to log out and in again or something, but you can launch it quite easily by typing hardinfo into the ALT+F2 dialog box
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Unfortunately it's not called "hardinfo" in the menu. It's called:

Menu > Preferences > System Profiler and Benchmark

Intuitive, right :lol:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

[Solved] Re: hardinfo

Post by mzsade »

Yeah, found it after a reboot, wasn't there before even though i looked for it by that name, but as a newbie i think ALT+F2, and typing command is a solution with a very wide range. Thanks.
Redlander

Post by Redlander »

This URL, when I click it, provides me this a dated User Guide; I have the latest Guide. If there is a special glossary, I would like ti have it.

Regards, and Thank You,

Redlander
uilenspiegel

Post by uilenspiegel »

Since this topic is "sticky" at the top of the newbie forum, the first post should really be kept updated with the link to the most recent version of the Official User Guide (http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.pdf at the moment). Latest version of the doc is already greatly improved, and such a prominent link should really highlight the best you have to offer.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello and Welcome to Linux Mint, James, almost everything that applies to Ubuntu applies to Mint too: www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu+password+recovery
lenin.dcruz

Post by lenin.dcruz »

belovedmonster wrote:If you are new to Mint or Linux in general and want a simple user guide on how to use and install Mint without all the confusing jargon then please consult our User Guide:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... /EN-v1.pdf

If you ask a question which is already covered in the guide you will simply be recommended to download the guide, so you are speeding up the process if you just read it in the first place. Although if something in the guide fails to make sense to you or you want more explanation then don't hesitate to ask it here on the forums, we will do our best to help you.

Welcome to the Linux Mint Community. 8)
You know, the irony of this is, if this guide is the same one available on the Mint site, then I couldn't download it in Firefox Ubuntu. the download would simply die out. I had to download it with the trusted Orbit downloader in Windows.. Thanks though.
gcampton

Post by gcampton »

uilenspiegel wrote:Since this topic is "sticky" at the top of the newbie forum, the first post should really be kept updated with the link to the most recent version of the Official User Guide (http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.pdf at the moment). Latest version of the doc is already greatly improved, and such a prominent link should really highlight the best you have to offer.
I agree I quickly read that guide to see if there was anything I could learn but it was full of outdated info that doesn't apply here...
time to delete the thread or update the first post... !
liberal

Post by liberal »

Hi,

I am newbie for linux mint,
I don't know how to connect the internet (dial-up). I don't know either if the modem driver is defined correctly.
I don't know the ABC .. of making dail up connect in linux mint
so any help?
thanks
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I've updated the link in my post. But a mod can feel free to update it whenevers. or jsut start a new sticky with the link. I don't really come here as much as I once did.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

thanks, belovedmonster, that's useful.

Return to “Beginner Questions”