Your advice needed on a partition setup

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: Your advice needed on a partition setup

Post by lagagnon »

My recommendation: 1) 10GB partition for / , 2) you decide how much data you are going to store on the /home Linux partition. If you plan on saving a lot of muzic/video files then you require a lot of space, otherwise make yourself a 10-30GB /home partition and 3) a swap partition of 2x RAM size, up to a max of 2GB.

You can do this from the Mint installer - and all this is very similar to Ubuntu as Mint is basically a fork of Ubuntu....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
paparts

Re: Your advice needed on a partition setup

Post by paparts »

Hey we have the same scenario. I admit that I am not a good linux user but I am starting to be one. What I did the first time installed mint is that boot a win xp/vista cd and create a free space on how much is for mint. After creating a free space[RAW] I then selected the 3rd option in installing mint that is to select the free space for installation and let mint do the job for how much is intended for /swap, /home...etc. I guess this is not bad for a newbie linux user.

Return to “Installation & Boot”