Linux Mint 7 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Re: Linux Mint 7 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Post by Husse »

Of course it has ndiswrapper
Favio

Post by Favio »

Yes, I've successfully installed the driver of my usb wireless.

Now in retrospective, that was a silly question. :roll:
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Cannot install the kde desktop from up-to-date (lvls 1-3) Gloria main (VM, all repos enabled) using mint-meta-kde (v7.0.9)
Just checked, get the same error just applying lvls 1/2 in a VM with default repos, with mint-meta-kde (v7.0.7)
Synaptic wrote: Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade

The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. Make sure that all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences.

mint-meta-kde:
Depends: kio-sysinfo but it is not going to be installed
p.s. libavcodec52 and libavutil49 are also removed on install, is there a specific reason for this?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Mint KDE uses a ppa repo to install KDE 4.2.4, so you need to add it if you are upgrading.

# KDE 4.2.4
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

# KDE 4.3 RC2, amarok 2.1, koffice 2. use by itself to only update amarok and koffice.
#deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main

update and add the gpg keys.
# add kubuntu ppa GPG keys.
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 493B3065
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8AC93F7A

Cheers
Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

thanks boo, that solved it, is there a way (either in debian packaging or mint packaging) to add the repo automatically, so for instance we could have a "KDE Desktop" entry in mintInstall.
tawan

Re: Linux Mint 7 KDE RC1 Bug Thread {solved}

Post by tawan »

EDIT: sorry found exactly how the error is caused

i did sudo kate /etc/fstab and not kdesudo kate /etc/fstab

xmessage

Code: Select all

xmessage
could not start ksmserver. check your installation
Last edited by tawan on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

boo: during actual installation:

mint-artwork-kde conflicts with mint-artwork-gnome by providing the oo_about splash

EDIT: I can confirm that after removing mint-artwork-gnome, mint-meta-kde will install successfully, but that doing so unsurprisingly causes the gdm to revert to a less pretty version
Last edited by emorrp1 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big_dog1968

Sound problems

Post by big_dog1968 »

Sound works when I first start Mint KDE, but crashes at some point after. I get a message that HDS Intel Alc888 Analog doesn't work. Why is it using analog (is it supposed to)? Why does it keep crashing? I have had no problems whatsoever with sound in the gnome 32 or 64 bit version of Mint. Thanks. :?:
Fifo

Post by Fifo »

KDE CE 7 doesn't work at all for me. (the gnome works perfect)
i installed and could not enter the system settings manager, it would always crash on me. and some additional crashes from time to time. so i installed all updates. no change.
actually i couldn't do the updates with mintupdate, because it crashed my computer as well. doing upgrades through apt-get and aptitude worked though.
well no change with those updates so enabled more and more repos installed more and more updates. it got a little better, i can open the settings manager now. but i still get a lot of crashes all the time. it is not usable at all.
i'm sorry but i can't detect any pattern in the crashes. one time i will try to launch amarok for example - computer freezes. next time i try it starts normally. i have no idea what is causing this, but it really sucks. my computer freezes all the time - completely i can't kill X or shutdown. have to throw the hard power switch all the time.

i didn't have those freezes in KDE CE 6

:? don't think i'm much of a help here, because i can't tell you at all what's wrong. but i still wanted to report
condowax

Post by condowax »

I noticed that when you right click a folder you have the option to create a RAR archive, but since rar is not installed by default it will just show a box containing a big red X. Also by default there is no widget to show battery state on the panel so laptop users have to add this if they want to be able to check the battery charge. Adding the show desktop widget by deafult would also be nice and maybe making lacelot the default launcher since in my opinion its a bit similar to mintMenu and it works much better than the kick-off launcher.
condowax

Post by condowax »

Clicking on links on writer open konqueror instead of firefox.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Fifo wrote:KDE CE 7 doesn't work at all for me. (the gnome works perfect)
i installed and could not enter the system settings manager, it would always crash on me. and some additional crashes from time to time. so i installed all updates. no change.
actually i couldn't do the updates with mintupdate, because it crashed my computer as well. doing upgrades through apt-get and aptitude worked though.
well no change with those updates so enabled more and more repos installed more and more updates. it got a little better, i can open the settings manager now. but i still get a lot of crashes all the time. it is not usable at all.
i'm sorry but i can't detect any pattern in the crashes. one time i will try to launch amarok for example - computer freezes. next time i try it starts normally. i have no idea what is causing this, but it really sucks. my computer freezes all the time - completely i can't kill X or shutdown. have to throw the hard power switch all the time.

:? don't think i'm much of a help here, because i can't tell you at all what's wrong. but i still wanted to report
Hi,
No offence but i think you should try a good Mint KDE CE 7 RC1 Gloria install DVD for installing the system on hard drive. Yours is a bad one.
Some files in it (DVD) are corrupted. Everything you wrote here is not true. It`s my opinion.

I think all the bugs in Mint KDE CE 7 Gloria have been already tracked by the community. These reported bugs here are not to be considered as major ones.

Again i would say i am Very Optmistic with this version of Mint KDE CE 4.2.4. Towards the final version (Stable). It`s gonna be a great release.

Boo, Great Job.
Congratulations!

Regards,
Roberto

Edited - Boo , please, let PPA repo open on sources.list (upgrade to KDE 4.3 and Amarok)
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

Great Kde4 release! So far my only real problem is using K3b. K3b does not even get fully loaded up before it totally freezes up the system. I have to do a hard reset of the system. Anyone else have this problem?
Fifo

Post by Fifo »

Rob Brill wrote: Hi,
No offence but i think you should try a good Mint KDE CE 7 RC1 Gloria install DVD for installing the system on hard drive. Yours is a bad one.
Some files in it (DVD) are corrupted. Everything you wrote here is not true. It`s my opinion.
that was my first thought as well. but i always let brasero check the data written onto my discs and it didn't report an error. i don't know when it could have become corrupted :/ download via bittorrent was fine too.

i installed mandriva 2009 spring KDE and it works great. i'm surprised how good that distro is. i'm running KDE 4.2.4 on mandriva don't have any of the issues mentioned in my last post.

i hope there were just errors on my disk, i might try again when the mint KDE CE final comes out

so long
olligod

Cups-PDF Fix: Imperfect but working

Post by olligod »

cups print to pdf is an apparmor problem.
there is a fix posted some where i think.

Boo

Found the fix and would like to help out.
Link (in German)

http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/cups- ... -backend-/

Translation:
- Edit file /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd (as root or using sudo)
- Find section /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf
- look for: capability at around line 140
- add the following lines (including the trailing commas)
capability dac_override,
capability dac_read_search,
- save and exit
- restart daemons

sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor reload
sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
sudo aa-complain cupsd
(last entry is actually an additional one from bug report below)

Now it does print into my home directory /home/myself, rather than into /home/myself/PDF as contemplated.

Question:
ARE ANY OF THESE COMMANDS UNSAFE?
if you look into system log you see that there seem to be file permission problems.
aa-complain seems to override those and just
"complain" into the system log file /var/log/messages.
The permissions are to do with /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf at least, and possibly other places.

There is a bug report on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/270046
where they discuss all this further.

For me it is enough for the moment: Printing to PDF in Gloria-KDE from ANY application,
including non-KDE-apps (the harder part) works now. If there is evidence that this creates a security hole,
please post.
If it just enables the outside world to create a few PDFs on my system...oh well :wink:

I hope all this helps somebody else.

olligod
Last edited by olligod on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
olligod

KDE lacking some Admin-Utils - Workaround to set fixed IP

Post by olligod »

I found that Gloria-KDE (and Kubuntu) lack some Admin Features (or they are unstable).
Possible lightweight workarounds that I found useful:

- How to set a standard fixed IP address for your wired network when running Gloria-KDE (or Kubuntu, worked exactly the same)

network-manager-gnome:
This installs just a few additional packages but does NOT draw in all Gnome gear and libraries.
Therefore:
sudo aptitude install network-manager-gnome
Then from a command line
sudo nm-connection-editor

Now you can edit your network interfaces nicely.

<rant> I believe that some (J.Riddell of Kubuntu fame or friends) always ASSUME one has to have a certain setup
such as dhcp for IP-Adresses etc. Therefore, in his quest to get the KDE menu less "crowded" there are just some options dropped -
or replaced by something lightweight and buggy. Seems that the Gnome people use more common sense here and there.
But then, again, we know that in both Ubuntu and Mint, the Gnome child is the favored one that gets the most resources </rant>

The Mint/KDE and Kubuntu developers do what they can, I guess.
And maybe we have to help each other out plugging the feature holes by pulling in non-KDE-apps/Utils here and there.

olligod
Fifo

Post by Fifo »

Fifo wrote:KDE CE 7 doesn't work at all for me. (the gnome works perfect)

i tried again now with the final release of KDE CE. i had the same problems all over again - but this time i found out what caused it!
as soon as i enabled some desktop effects with kwin i started getting crashes. totally weird crashes with no pattern that happened at any given moment. the screen would either lock up, go black or get totally weird.
so i decided to install compiz. i tried the included tool "desktop effects" to install, but it didn't install the main package "compiz" so it didn't work. i installed it manually with synaptic and it worked. no more crashes since! :)
but i had one more problem with compiz. after a restart it didn't display any window decoration. title bar on all windows. i installed the compiz-fusion icon and selected the KDE window decorator and it was back to normal.

i think there are quite some things that can be improved, installing compiz shouldn't be that difficult.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”