install propritery codec with no internet connection

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amrish

install propritery codec with no internet connection

Post by amrish »

hi all,
I have installed universal dvd at my desktop. everything is fine. thanks to mint developers.
I have no internet connection at home and i access internet connection from cybercafe or of friends. I want to install all proprietary codecs of sound and video. what is the easiest way??

<1> I have no internet how can i install all this codecs?
<2> is there any easy way to install vlc?
please help me
regards
amrish
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: install propritery codec with no internet connection

Post by DrHu »

The Internet, is the best way..

In the terminal or via synaptic: mint menu>system>Package Manager, download only, select some other directory (folder)than /tmp, or you will lose those files usually) on a reboot.

--you can download only and install after you disconnect the Internet
--this more of a problem with hardware detection for example, which assumes you have an internet connection, to simplify the download and install..
amrish

Re: install propritery codec with no internet connection

Post by amrish »

DrHu ,
thanks for your response. It is true that internet is the best solution. I am living in India. here users without internet connections are in big numbers. There should be some way to use this nice OS for them.
Is there any way that you suggest the urs. I download the .deb packages and store them in Pendrive and install it at home and everything work nicely. I now that this is cumbersome but is there any way?
so please help in this way.

Amrish

Return to “Sound”