install/make problems, what am I missing?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

install/make problems, what am I missing?

Post by dhdurgee »

I have recently installed mint 7 x64 on my system. As I prefer Sea monkey to thunder bird and fire fox I downloaded the installer for the latest version from the sea monkey project, as the package listed in the package installer is old. Following the instructions in the readme file I created a seamonkey directory in my home folder and unpacked the archive to it. I then attempted the install and get the following:

dhdurgee@ddd-pc2 ~/seamonkey/seamonkey-installer $ ./seamonkey-installer
./seamonkey-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dhdurgee@ddd-pc2 ~/seamonkey/seamonkey-installer $

So it appears I am missing some shared libraries that the installer expects, where do I get them?

As I am also trying to get AHCI working on my machine I downloaded the ahcitool from sourceforge and attempted to make it per the instructions with the following results:

dhdurgee@ddd-pc2 ~/Projects/ahcitool-0.1 $ make
gcc -O2 -g -Wall -W -DUSE_LIBPCI -c -o sataahcitool.o sataahcitool.c
sataahcitool.c:62:22: error: pci/pci.h: No such file or directory
sataahcitool.c: In function ÔÇÿget_base_addrÔÇÖ:
sataahcitool.c:1237: warning: implicit declaration of function ÔÇÿpci_allocÔÇÖ
sataahcitool.c:1237: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
sataahcitool.c:1240: warning: implicit declaration of function ÔÇÿpci_initÔÇÖ
sataahcitool.c:1241: warning: implicit declaration of function ÔÇÿpci_scan_busÔÇÖ
sataahcitool.c:1243: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
sataahcitool.c:1243: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
sataahcitool.c:1246: warning: implicit declaration of function ÔÇÿpci_read_longÔÇÖ
sataahcitool.c:1254: warning: implicit declaration of function ÔÇÿpci_lookup_nameÔÇÖ
sataahcitool.c:1256: error: ÔÇÿPCI_LOOKUP_DEVICEÔÇÖ undeclared (first use in this function)
sataahcitool.c:1256: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
sataahcitool.c:1256: error: for each function it appears in.)
sataahcitool.c:1257: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
sataahcitool.c:1257: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
sataahcitool.c:1257: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
sataahcitool.c:1267: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
sataahcitool.c:1271: warning: implicit declaration of function ÔÇÿpci_cleanupÔÇÖ
make: *** [sataahcitool.o] Error 1

So it looks like either my environment is missing some settings or once again I am missing some packages. Once again I could use some guidance in getting things set up properly to be able to build from source code for my system. This is only the first package I was trying out, I also planned later to build hercules from source for the x64 environment. But given this experience I am going to hold off for a bit on that until I can get this simple program to build.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in getting things working properly.

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: install/make problems, what am I missing?

Post by DrHu »

dhdurgee wrote:So it appears I am missing some shared libraries that the installer expects, where do I get them?
--and it will be specific releases.. per library name needed..
In the terminal or with the package manager (synaptic) mint menu>system>Package Manager
In terminal, check
  • apt search libstdc++
    v libstdc++-dev -
    i libstdc++5 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
And if you can't get a version of the library that matches the requirements of the package you want to install, either from Mint/Ubuntu or in a higher version of the distribution (the next version) which often update system files & libraries..
you would be out of luck

Since you are doing a custom installation from source, you generally have to work out the issues yourself, unless someone here has done the exact same install using the exact same version, then you would have a match..
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

dhdurgee wrote:As I am also trying to get AHCI working on my machine I downloaded the ahcitool from sourceforge and attempted to make it per the instructions with the following results:
Same issues, you need the libraries, headers and system tools to enable the compilation of the source package
--also is the language on your system English..
sataahcitool.c: In function ÔÇÿget_base_addrÔÇÖ:

--and did you use the cygwin version or the tar version; I don't want to try to find out if it a windows tool or a linux tool, I can't tell from the sourceforge website..as their website seems only to be showing windows based screenshots ?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ahcitool/files/
http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/1/sourcefor ... /ahcitool/
--I don't find it on any Linux site ??

You should have at a minimum..
  • apt search build
    p apt-build - frontend to apt to build, optimize and ins
    p arch-buildpackage - tools for maintaining Debian packages usin
    p boost-build - cross-platform build system for C++ projec
    i A build-essential - Informational list of build-essential pack
You may also need the kernel sources, which for the current kernel 2.6.28.13-generic should already be installed, and when mint has a new kernel packaged up, it will be generated and appear in /usr/src
  • ls /usr/src
    linux-headers-2.6.28-11
    linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic rpm
    linux-headers-2.6.28-13
    linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

DrHu wrote:
dhdurgee wrote:So it appears I am missing some shared libraries that the installer expects, where do I get them?
--and it will be specific releases.. per library name needed..
In the terminal or with the package manager (synaptic) mint menu>system>Package Manager
In terminal, check
  • apt search libstdc++
    v libstdc++-dev -
    i libstdc++5 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
And if you can't get a version of the library that matches the requirements of the package you want to install, either from Mint/Ubuntu or in a higher version of the distribution (the next version) which often update system files & libraries..
you would be out of luck

Since you are doing a custom installation from source, you generally have to work out the issues yourself, unless someone here has done the exact same install using the exact same version, then you would have a match..
I used synaptic to add the missing standard C++ library and that enabled me to run the installer to place the package in /usr/local/seamonkey, which the installer indicated was the default location. I am able to run seamonkey now as root but only by referring to /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey directly, if I simply type seamonkey at the terminal prompt I get a message to install the package. I also cannot run this as a non-root user, except by sudo /usr/loca/seamonkey/seamonkey, so I definitely missed something somewhere. Has anyone done this and thus can tell me what I missed doing?

Perhaps I should install the older version and then install the new one on top of it? The installer says NOT to do this, but its dialog offers to erase the directory and recreate it so perhaps this would work.
Dave

Return to “Software & Applications”