Persistent install, which one worked better for you?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: Persistent install, which one worked better for you?

Post by proxima_centauri »

I would use usb-creator, available in the repositories, and allows you to set a persistent size allotment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Persistent install, which one worked better for you?

Post by ddalley »

It seems that, no matter how you make a USB install, there always is a compromise, so take your time figuring out how to do yours. If you are new to Linux, then there is some learning and experimenting to do.

For example, do you want security with the stick? I do, but many of these methods make it difficult for the inexperienced (including me) to get it right. So what I am trying to get working is a direct install to the stick with no casper files involved. Most casper installs make it difficult to make a sign-in system for the user and deleting the original "root" account just makes it worse. Even trying to make persistance is a headache, so try installing to the stick normally and see how you like it.

Having said that, getting GRUB to work right doing it this way is also not easy. I've got two Mint 7 sticks going at the moment that are just about "right", but I am still working on them. I want to make this work.

It really should not be this difficult to have our cake and eat it too, so somebody, someday will figure all of this out and document it properly.

Return to “Installation & Boot”