Computer will not boot from usb-stick.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NexusHumanis

Computer will not boot from usb-stick.

Post by NexusHumanis »

I installed a 64-bit mint 7 on a usb stick for a friend, so she could try it out, but she cannot get her computer to boot it. We have set USB-FDD as first boot device, but to no avail. The partition with mint on it was formatted in ext3, could this be a problem? We are talking about an Acer Aspire M5100 - KF77 desktop computer. What could be wrong here? I could not really test the install at home, as I don't have any 64-bit machines, but at least my laptop gave me a pretty clear message that it could not boot the install because it could not handle 64-bit OS. Which means that the image was bootable.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
optimize me

Re: Computer will not boot from usb-stick.

Post by optimize me »

NexusHumanis wrote:The partition with mint on it was formatted in ext3, could this be a problem?
For some computers, it can be. If I were you, I'd reformat the USB stick as FAT16 or FAT32 and re-burn the image, then give it a whirl.
NexusHumanis

Re: Computer will not boot from usb-stick.

Post by NexusHumanis »

For some computers, it can be. If I were you, I'd reformat the USB stick as FAT16 or FAT32 and re-burn the image, then give it a whirl.[/quote]

>> Well, I have done so, and will try again at some point booting it. I took the stick back home to look at it, so will not have a chance for some time yet.

Return to “Installation & Boot”