KDE4 Freez

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: KDE4 Freez

Post by exploder »

Applications, System, Systems Log Viewer, is where you need to go.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
condowax

Post by condowax »

I used to get freezes too when I was using the Nvidia driver from their site. Installed the one from the hardware drivers app and since then it has been quite stable, so it could be a driver issue.
hoppy785

Post by hoppy785 »

i dont think its necesarily a kde4 problem, but a ubuntu/kubuntu 9.04 issue... either way there was a huge thread on an ubunut forum awhile back... many people have this problem no matter what graphic card they are using... consensus is internet usage is the culprit, from what i followed there was never an official fix or even acknowledgement, but i havent checked for a long time... its made ubunut/kubuntu nearly unuseably for me... i am just going to wait till karmic koala is out.
hoppy785

Post by hoppy785 »

one thing that seemed to dramatically lower the freezing frequency for me was upgrading to the newest kernel 2.6.30 i think.... would probably be a good place to start if your problem is making you mad enough that your ready to tinker... also if your using an intel chip you may want to google about changing your accel method in the xorg to UXA... if you need help just PM me
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

The link that hoppy785 was talking about:

It's a well documented bug (Intel) in the kernel. (Jaunty, Gloria, & all other distros that use the same kernel)

It is a little more difficult, and has to do with upgrading your kernel , so read the whole post, and use at your own discretion / risk.
I followed Katzedecimal's instructions, and my Intel 945 system is working perfectly. ( and fast )

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27963&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=kernel+2+6+30+rock#p162261

Edit: You might also benefit from trying the fix listed here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... hlight=awn
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Are you sure? The first up should have 2.6.30 etc. and farther on down will be your original kernel 2.6.28 etc.
hoppy785

Post by hoppy785 »

hack its possible that during an upgrade you clicked an ominous prompt that turns off auto updating of you grub menu list... i made this mistake and googled to see many have done this also without even realizing it... if this happened and you do indeed have your upgraded kernel there just not on the list, then your going to have to manually place the kernel option in your boot list... kdesudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst i think is what you enter in terminal to manual edit the grub list.

Return to “Software & Applications”