SSD or i7?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Shadowriser

SSD or i7?

Post by Shadowriser »

Current my main PC that I dual boot Xp and Mint KDE on is using 6 gigs of DDR2, Asus MB, AMD Phenom 9550 (2.1 Ghz). Using 1 Tb HD as OS/backup. Also ATI 4850 video

My question is would you A. upgrade to a SSD Ocz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227393 or get a newer i7 setup?

I play online games and hate waiting for my characters to zone and slow boot times. Also if I got new HD would you get SSD or 2 other drives in Raid 0?

Part of the reason I want i7 is the option to install ram into 6 dimm's. My goal is to have enough ram to load 6-7 everquest characters with minumal amount of lag.

Also how well would Ext4+Kde or Gnome work with new SSD hard drives?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: SSD or i7?

Post by lagagnon »

It sounds to me like you have a lot of money to throw around at gaming if you can afford to ditch a Phenom for an i7!
If money is no object and you have done some research as to how much faster one will be over the other then by all means go for it. If you have no room for the Phenom box and have no idea what to do with it I'll pay shipping charges to my place. :wink:

As to SSD there is no reason why it won't work under Linux. After all, some of the first SSD devices ran under Linux in netbooks. You will get much less storage for your $ though, as you know well. If you already have a terabyte I have no idea why you would want a 30gb ssd???

I don't think the hard drive questions will affect much your character rendering - faster RAM, video and CPU more likely...
Shadowriser

Re: SSD or i7?

Post by Shadowriser »

Not rich or anything just a PC nerd. More of a hardware nerd then software. Which leads me to being Linux noob. I just multi box on main PC and want toons to zone faster and windows/linux to load faster.

Return to “Open Chat”