fromiso enforced?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

fromiso enforced?

Post by Fred »

To any of the developers, or others in the know,

Does anyone know if by chance the "fromiso" grub cheat code is enforced by the newer releases of Mint?

If not, would it be too much of a chore to do so in coming releases? Being able to use the "fromiso" and "persist" cheat codes in grub would be a real coup for Mint. These would enable some pretty simple and reliable ways to install and re-master. And would be an excellent differentiator over Ubuntu.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: fromiso enforced?

Post by DrHu »

Fred wrote:These would enable some pretty simple and reliable ways to install and re-master. And would be an excellent differentiator over Ubuntu.
Yes, sounds like an interesting idea.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=710430
post #3
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=457318
But it may not be necessary, as the main idea behind and desktop Linux distribution is to install it, not customize it anyway you want--that kind of goes against that vaunted new user (? maybe ex-windows) demographic

These would enable some pretty simple and reliable ways to install
I think it might make the install simpler, which could help those types of users
--ones who might never have installed an OS..
Fred

Post by Fred »

DrHu wrote:
But it may not be necessary, as the main idea behind and desktop Linux distribution is to install it, not customize it anyway you want--that kind of goes against that vaunted new user (? maybe ex-windows) demographic
True, you have a good point. But, every time a new version comes out there are always many questions/problems installing, from almost new users already using Mint who want to take advantage of the new release.

I strongly suspect that many of these problems are actually bad burn problems. Even more experienced users would appreciate an easy way to install directly from an iso image on the hard drive, as opposed to burning a cd/dvd every time. Also, there are more and more sub-notebooks of various kinds that don't have a cd/dvd drive that would benefit greatly from the "fromiso" cheat code being available.

I just upgraded to the latest version of sidux, as it has been about a year since I did a clean install on that box. Using "fromiso" it took 1 min. and 7 seconds to do a complete install! It doesn't get much faster than that. :-)

Fred
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Fred wrote:I strongly suspect that many of these problems are actually bad burn problems. Even more experienced users would appreciate an easy way to install directly from an iso image on the hard drive, as opposed to burning a cd/dvd every time.
I just upgraded to the latest version of sidux, as it has been about a year since I did a clean install on that box. Using "fromiso" it took 1 min. and 7 seconds to do a complete install! It doesn't get much faster than that.
...users would appreciate an easy way to install directly from an iso image..
I agree that will help.
--and as such could be a kind of coup for Mint, assuming Ubuntu doesn't do it first

You convinced me, I'll check it out some more..
--now in order to install on a computer I am not using; that is, another computer, I will have to enable a boot with a USB device that includes the *.iso file. Or I will have to provide a central space for fromiso and *.iso files..I am guessing something like freenas could work..

Return to “Installation & Boot”