A dip into Debian

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tawan

A dip into Debian

Post by tawan »

I took time to build Debian from an "expert install" (i'm not close to expert), with no desktop environment. [thanks to slipshot for putting me onto the idea]

EDIT here is his How To How to make a custom Debian Setup

I then added, bit by bit, xorg, openbox, and so on, the bits to make a nice custom Linux.

In doing so I got a much better understanding of Linux and what goes into it.

I developed a huge respect for Gnome and how they offer little well made bits of software to do any task. I saw the genuine magic that kde have done to make the powerful undershell of Linux into a greatlooking user experience.

Mostly, as I had to reboot alot and re-enter Mint to fix stuff in Debian - I got an even higher respect for Clem and Mint.

Each time I booted into Mint I said "wow this is some nice piece of work!"

So I now have Mint Gnome as my main bootup (all the Mrs can use) and Mint Fluxbox as my fully working fast bit of fun and Debain as my work in progress love affair. I really enjoy plying on Debian and Openbox but each time i log into Mint I am hit with respect.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tawan

Re: A dip into Debian

Post by tawan »

It's coming along quite nicely :)

raylu, "I had to reboot a lot" and "go into mint to fix stuff" I had to reboot a lot for a few reasons, one being making reboot work from the menu and as for going into mint that fix was to fix sudoers which i edited without using visudo so broke it, i used visudo in mint to fix the broken sudoers in debian.

Good project, When I have this all nice I may well take a look at the Gentoo way but I feel more interested in trying Arch, either way I am making my way up the learning curve and enjoying it.
tawan

Post by tawan »

4 conkys and not a whole lot else.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Cool project . . . now on my list of things to do ! :D

Now, (nice screenshot) how do you find it? Any hard hurdles? Is it faster without all the bloat?
tawan

Post by tawan »

it's soooooooo fast :D
tawan

Post by tawan »

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Now that is a sweet looking Debian set up!
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

You say you're using OpenBox, right? Is that the standard OB panel at the bottom? I like the looks of that.. I've been distro shopping lately, and everything is either Ubuntu-based or Debian-based. I figure since Debian is the reigning grand-daddy of all the most popular distros these days, I might give it a go.. Especially after reading what you've written.
tawan

Post by tawan »

optimize me wrote:You say you're using OpenBox, right? Is that the standard OB panel at the bottom? I like the looks of that.. I've been distro shopping lately, and everything is either Ubuntu-based or Debian-based. I figure since Debian is the reigning grand-daddy of all the most popular distros these days, I might give it a go.. Especially after reading what you've written.
there is no panel for openbox so this is tint2 (default theme) it can be made to look very nice, it's very light and simple.

I went for pcmanfm as file manager too, also light.
slipshot

Post by slipshot »

Great job tawan! It looks almost as good as mine! if it matters to anyone im planing on writing a tutorial on how to make your own Debian based setup, just give me a little time and ill post it!

This is my #!Crunchbang setup!

And this is my Custom Debian setup!

Hope you like it!
tawan

Post by tawan »

slipshot wrote:im planing on writing a tutorial
here it is

How to make a custom Debian Setup

Return to “Chat about Linux”