nVidia Driver Update?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sanjima

nVidia Driver Update?

Post by Sanjima »

I'm curious if there's some way to add the nVidia website as a driver repository, 'cause I found a more recent driver for my video card on the site than the latest one Mint recommends. (173.14.20 vs 173.14.13 I have a GeForce FX5200 lol)
The main reason I'm concerned about this is because I have better video card performance under Windows XP than I do under Linux Mint.

Anyone got an idea? =o
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: nVidia Driver Update?

Post by emorrp1 »

nope, with proprietary graphics cards, you're stuck with whatever the manufacturers give you. You should also where possible stick with the drivers included and recommended by default, as they have been tested and verified, and will receive updates. If it's really important that you get the latest driver, there's probably a ppa (personal package archive, a personal repo hosted by launchpad, where packages are uploaded by an individual) somewhere that provides it. However there's probably other things you can do to increase your graphics performance instead (like turning off compiz)
Sanjima

Re: nVidia Driver Update?

Post by Sanjima »

Okie, that's kinda what I figured. Thanks =D

Return to “Hardware Support”