How to install an Open Type font?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aelfinn

How to install an Open Type font?

Post by aelfinn »

I've been looking for information on how to install an Open Type font on Linux, to no avail, unfortunately. Can anyone help me out by pointing to some relevant information?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: How to install an Open Type font?

Post by Husse »

This tutorial for Jaunty should be valid for Gloria and Felicia
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Thanks for trying, but that didn't work. The font still doesn't show up in OpenOffice's font list.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

aelfinn wrote:Thanks for trying, but that didn't work. The font still doesn't show up in OpenOffice's font list.
I checked both the terminal, and synaptic (mint menu>package manager)
  • apt search msttcorefonts
    i msttcorefonts - transitional dummy package
    synaptic search mssttcorefonts
    This package exists to facilitate upgrades to ttf-mscorefonts-installer.
    apt search ttf-mscorefonts-installer
    i ttf-mscorefonts-installer - Installer for Microsoft TrueType core font
    --so the link given by Husse, should have been OK, if you installed the ttf-mscorefonts-installer
I didn't create a .fonts folder in my /home/userID/.fonts (userID is the logged in user name)
--I just let the system put them inplace via the sudo prefix , and they go into the system location /usr/share/fonts

In the terminal
mint menu>Applications>Terminal

http://embraceubuntu.com/2005/09/09/ins ... oft-fonts/
http://www.krishnamoorthy.in/2009/07/in ... buntu.html
--remember to run sudo fc-cache -fv
-- sudo apt-get install ttf-liberation; same method for any other fonts you want installed, either synaptic or apt and know the font family names

Assuming you have the correct repositories available in Mint; installed by the default installation
--then msttfonts show under /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts and for OpenOffice show under /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice
  • ls -l /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice
    total 116
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 111620 2009-04-14 03:26 opens___.ttf
If you want to check their look, just use mint menu>Computer /usr/share/fonts/truetype; type that into the location bar, and you will get the list of fonts, then you can browse any type (family of fonts) installed, open one and see its style/look..
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

To install a font in a system, see my post here. It's easy. :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Beginner Questions”