Calibre

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peter4933
Level 2
Level 2

Calibre

Post by Peter4933 »

Hi,

As an avid eBook reader the only reason I keep Microsoft XP on one of my laptops is to enable me to synch my PPC and download and install ebooks.

I have just discovered "Calibre" and it seems almost to good to be true. Their site gives you full downloading instructions, fully supports Mint, and downloading from the command line is easy.

I have only just started using it and find that it won't accept eBook Reader books. I get the message, "supported by DRM".

I haven't tried synchronising my PPC yet but in the meantime I wonder if anybody has, or is using this software. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter4933.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Calibre

Post by Husse »

If it accepts other ebooks you've run into DRM problems
I don't intend to assist in anything that might be considered pirating software (to protect Mint and regardless of my personal views)
Peter4933
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Peter4933 »

Hi Husse,

I quiet agree. Neither would I. As far as I'm concerned the jury is out regarding this software.

Peter4933.
Last edited by Peter4933 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thanks for that
DRM is a tad bit different from libcss and the like
If you acquired the books legally and can't use them as you like because of DRM it's a shame, bet telling you how to bypass that (which I don't know and have to google) in the forum would be dangerous
(Mostly added for other readers)
Peter4933
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Peter4933 »

Hi Husse,
Thanks. The eBook reader situation is improving all the time. I've found a "new kid on the block" by the name of "Plastic Logic" which is said to rival Amazon's Kindle. I will probably go down that road or something similar as my faithful old PPC is getting a little long in the tooth.
Isn't Clem's girl Gloria doing well. Currently over 2000 hits on DistroWatch!
Regards,
Peter4933.

Return to “Software & Applications”