xorg.conf keeps reverting!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ms2k

xorg.conf keeps reverting!

Post by ms2k »

I have a new Linux Mint 7 install on an older model Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop.

The default install doesn't recognize the internal video, and is limited to 800x600 with no option for changes.

As a result, I've been attempting to modify the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file for compatibility with the hardware. I've modified the file many times as sudo and saved it, and then restarted Linux.

However, after each restart, the xorg.conf file reverts to this simple text:

Code: Select all

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"DontZap"	"False"
EndSection
Obviously, that's not much of a configuration. Does anybody know why this file keeps reverting to this "unconfigured" state following each restart? It doesn't seem to matter what code i use to modify the file, whether it's just a small change or the addition of many sections. In all cases, once I save and restart, it reverts back to the above unconfigured state.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: xorg.conf keeps reverting!

Post by emorrp1 »

Well I don't know why it's reverting, as mine is fine, but there is one thing I know that could (but shouldn't) affect it: mint's auto-enabling of dontzap You can disable it by editing /etc/linuxmint/mintSystem.conf and changing True to False in the ctrl-alt-backspace line. Other than that, I'm not sure (but you might want to lookup "bullet-proof X"), anyone else know what's going on?

Return to “Installation & Boot”