NVIDIA-driver/nvtv

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlueLion

NVIDIA-driver/nvtv

Post by BlueLion »

Hi there,
I'm working with Linux Mint Felicia 64bit, and a NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT graphics card and would like to use nvtv for watching divx, mp4, mkv etc. on my TV-screen (S-VHS).
Since nvtv doesn't recognize my graphics card, I thought perhaps the nvidia-glx-177-driver isn't the best choice, and wanted to install the original driver by NVIDIA.
But the install process needs to be done outsied of the Xserver, so is it possible, to boot the system in text mode once in a while for maintenance purposes?
I'm also open for suggestions how to solve the nvtv-issue otherwise ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: NVIDIA-driver/nvtv

Post by viking777 »

Code: Select all

sudo telinit 1
Will stop X and launch the Mint recovery menu where you will find all sorts of interesting options. One is a root login and one is a root login with networking. Just select one of these and supply your password (it will ask for a root password, but it will accept your user password). To install the Nvidia driver cd to the directory where you have it installed and then run:

Code: Select all

./NVIDIAwhatever the file is called.run
Be aware though that sometimes the Mint driver is at the version it is because the later versions are not so compatible as the earlier ones. IE you might make things worse not better. It is a small risk but it is there.

PS I have never even heard of nvtv so I can't help you with that.
BlueLion

Post by BlueLion »

thanks for the proposal, but sudo telinit 1 tries to lead to recovery mode, the system gets stuck though.
I've also tried to boot to recovery mode and use the root login, unfortunately my password is not accepted as root password ...
viking777

Post by viking777 »

BlueLion wrote:thanks for the proposal, but sudo telinit 1 tries to lead to recovery mode, the system gets stuck though.
I've also tried to boot to recovery mode and use the root login, unfortunately my password is not accepted as root password ...
How odd, It works for me???
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

BlueLion wrote:I'm working with Linux Mint Felicia 64bit, and a NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT graphics card and would like to use nvtv for watching divx, mp4, mkv etc. on my TV-screen (S-VHS).
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=70201
If the nvidia card has a tv output available

In terminal, check
  • apt search nvtv
    p nvtv - tool to control TV chips on NVidia cards u
BlueLion

Post by BlueLion »

Hallo DrHu,
thank you for your reply. The thread you added doesn't give me the needed info though. The nvidia card has a tv output available - it works with VLC Player.
nvtv still isn't able to detect it - neither seems the Totem Movie Player.
The statement "apt search nvtv" gives the following reply:
i nvtv - tool to control TV chips on NVidia cards u
(I've got it installed). Now what?
What bugs me the most, that I'm not able to login on the root level in recovery mode ... caused by some unknown reason my password isn't accepted as root password - can I configure it somehow so that it's accepted? It works perfectly with sudo ...

Return to “Hardware Support”