Editing Sound files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
George1955
Level 1
Level 1

Editing Sound files

Post by George1955 »

Hi
I currently use (in Windows) Adobe Audition to clean up LP (big black cd) recordings. Is there an equivalent in Linux? I've tried Audacity but it's a bit too clinical in the way it removes noise.
Yeah I know I should buy cd's but some of the weird psychedelic/prog rock stuff I listen to didn't make it to cd., or the band members died before cd's were invented!!
Any help would be appreciated as this is my last link to Windows
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Every audiophile knows that vinyl and valve amps are the only way to listen to music. :D

if you look at the distro Ubuntu studio or 64studion or musik they have lots of music tools that would be of interest to you.
I'm not saying install them, just look at their app lists.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

The Gnome Wave Cleaner Project:
What is it?
It is a result of never wanting to boot to MS windows again. The only reason I had left was because I have this wonderful software to record digital audio, and the dehiss and declick using some very cool software (COOLEDIT 2000) and (Declick by M. Paar), to do the audio restoration.
I checked out some of the ongoing projects in linux, and either they crashed a lot or, didn't do what I needed, so I started this effort out of selfishness and also as a mechanism to learn the GNOME API for GUI programming . A lot of the code shows the efforts of that learning curve, and could certainly be cleaned up, but the I am personally pleased with the overall design. The goals are simple -- denoise, dehiss and amplify audio files. With the use of libsndfile, you can now do this on a multitude of audio formats, wav, au, aiff, ...
http://gwc.sourceforge.net/

Cleaned up my original Country Joe and the Fish etc, I bought in the sixties. :)

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi also used:
GramoFile is a computer program, running under the Linux operating system (and some other UNIX-like OSses -- and even DOS/Windows now!), with the main goal of putting the sound of for example gramophone records on CDs. It is able to record hours of CD quality music, split long sound files in separate tracks, and remove ticks and pops from recordings.
This program was originally written by Anne Bezemer and Ton Le as a study project at the department of Information Technology and Systems (sub-department Electrical Engineering) of the Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands. However, development has continued after the end of the project, resulting in the program as it is now.
Made a good job of my Hapshah and the Coloured Coat :)
Nick
Nick
George1955
Level 1
Level 1

Post by George1955 »

I'm using KDE and most of these appear to be Gnome.
Looks like I'll have to move to Gnome
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
I'm using KDE and most of these appear to be Gnome.
Looks like I'll have to move to Gnome
I never use Gnome (any longer than it takes to type apt-get install kde) :)
you could say I "dislike" Gome :)

Gnome applications work perfectly under KDE, gwc is in synaptic, and so is
gramofile, (it is non-gui)
The installation probably will install some Gnome dependencies.
So before you move to Gnome why not try in KDE to see if suitable.

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Just tried installing gwc on my sytem (bianca gnome with KDD added) synaptic say's it installs it but it is not there,(have been using GWC on Etch)

If you download the latest source code,
and install everything under libgnomeui including development files, and libsound-dev, it compiles OK

Extract, then

cd gwc-0.21-08/
./configure
make
sudo make install

To run - gwc

Nick
George1955
Level 1
Level 1

Post by George1955 »

Thanks
I'll give GWC a go as I'd rather stay with KDE
George1955
Level 1
Level 1

Post by George1955 »

Thanks Nick
GWC works just fine. Not as pretty as Adobe Audition but a helluva lot faster. One further question...The Ubuntu Sound and 64 Studio packages, they are huge, are they a special kind of Linux Distro?
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Glad you got it working,
The Ubuntu Sound and 64 Studio packages
64 studio and Ubuntu Sound are complete distros the same as Mint,
bit here on sound http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... dio&t=2575

Looks like you can add sound repos http://ubuntustudio.org/downloads but it is based on Feisty, therefore you will need to use Cassandra. If you do this I
have NO resposibility for the result to your System-(M$ type disclaimer :) )-Nick
P.S. must be lot people downloading Cassandra- ten minutes to preview my message :)
George1955
Level 1
Level 1

Post by George1955 »

I tried Ubuntu Studio distro but it is in Gnome and I just didn't like the feel of it. The applications look good though.
Will the repos, work in KDE? If so I'll wait until Cassandra is released in KDE before I try again

Return to “Software & Applications”