[invalid] Instalation Bug

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Egorama
Level 2
Level 2

[invalid] Instalation Bug

Post by Egorama »

If you install mint from USB, with a Mint CD also present, after the interactive part of the installation process, the install reverts/defaults to CD if available regardless of the original install media.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dont Believe half of what you see and none of what you here -- Lou Reed
Fred

Re: Instalation Bug

Post by Fred »

Egorama,

Hummm... Doesn't sound like much of a bug to me. Just umount the CD and remove it from the drive before you try to install from USB. Problem solved. :-)

Fred
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Yep, this will depend on your BIOS settings, and what they reset to on a reboot. If you want to be able to boot from the usb after install (why?) just raise the boot order of usb. You could also follow Fred's advice to boot into the installed version.
Egorama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Egorama »

Fred wrote:Egorama,

Hummm... Doesn't sound like much of a bug to me. Just umount the CD and remove it from the drive before you try to install from USB. Problem solved. :-)
You would do that if you anticipated that behaviour, but you wouldn't, why would the installer switch media part way through? that is exactly why it's a bug. Whether there is a workaround isn't relevant.
emorrp1 wrote:Yep, this will depend on your BIOS settings, and what they reset to on a reboot. If you want to be able to boot from the usb after install (why?) just raise the boot order of usb. You could also follow Fred's advice to boot into the installed version.
Maybe I could have been clearer in my initial post but the switch between installation media is made directly after the interactive section, during the file copy section of the install, this happens before the reboot, therefore switching boot priorities won't help.
Egorama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Egorama »

emorrp1 wrote:Yep, this will depend on your BIOS settings, and what they reset to on a reboot. If you want to be able to boot from the usb after install (why?) just raise the boot order of usb. You could also follow Fred's advice to boot into the installed version.
Oh wait! did you mean the installer uses BIOS boot priority to determine install media? that would work, but it would be tripped up by pressing the POST Fn key for a one time boot drive select, which I possibly did.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hang on, so you mean it installed fine? If so then what's the problem, sure it's odd, but if it works...
Egorama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Egorama »

emorrp1 wrote:Hang on, so you mean it installed fine? If so then what's the problem, sure it's odd, but if it works...
It didn't work, I had to restart the installation and be sure to remove the CD first.

I appreciate the workaround is easy enough, it's not really a problem for me now I'm aware of it but this doesn't really change the fact that this isn't how it should work, I appreciate if you say it's not a high priority because very few will encounter this but saying it doesn't matter because it works one way or another is disappointing to me. It's like coding without error trapping and saying I won't bother because the user should do it that way anyway.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Ok, now you've described what happened a bit more, I can see this is a potential bug, although I can't see why you'd even get to this situation if your comp can boot from cd since the USB method is still not fully supported. Now I just need enough information to promote this to a full bug report. The main thing I need is a precise method to reproduce the bug. i.e. which tutorial did you follow to create the USB boot media, was it persistent, what linux version was on the CD that was inserted, what are the symptoms, does it happen every time, does it happen when you use the direct install method rather than live cd method etc. etc. As much info and precise steps as possible please.
Egorama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Egorama »

I didn't realise the boot from USB install is not still not fully supported, I guess that makes this more of an incomplete feature but here are the details anyway.

I initially booted the Gloria installation from CD but found the disc to be corrupt. As my last few disc's were cheap in nature I decided to use USB as my install medium.

I created the USB Install using the Windows version of UNetbootin with a md5 verified Gloria ISO no tutorial was necessary as the tool is very intuitive.

Rebooted the PC, F8(bring up 1 time boot device select during POST) Select USB. At the boot menu I chose start installer only. I then completed the interactive section of the install and continued to the file copy sequence, at this point my CD drive spun up for the first time(with my faulty media inserted) and proceeded to copy files from here instead of USB. At about 30% I got the same file copy error as my previous attempt to install from CD as you might predict. At this point I restarted the PC removed the CD and the install from USB worked perfectly.

This is reproducible using the above outlined method, my guess is that the installer currently looks for the installation media in a predetermined order(or takes the boot order from the BIOS which you may have hinted earlier) instead of checking a pre-populated variable that contains the actual install boot media .
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Egorama wrote:Rebooted the PC, F8(bring up 1 time boot device select during POST) Select USB. At the boot menu I chose start installer only. I then completed the interactive section of the install and continued to the file copy sequence, at this point my CD drive spun up for the first time(with my faulty media inserted) and proceeded to copy files from here instead of USB. At about 30% I got the same file copy error as my previous attempt to install from CD as you might predict. At this point I restarted the PC removed the CD and the install from USB worked perfectly.
At this point I restarted the PC removed the CD and the install from USB worked perfectly
Exactly why would you have 2 boot devices loaded into the system
--and the boot order in the bios is what, USB/CD or CD/USB
  • the CD device has the boot files
    the USB device has the boot files
The installer scans the system for mounted media (CD, DVD, USB, Hard drives), it found the first one available CD, and tried to use that

I don't think it is a bug at all, or even a potential one..
Egorama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Egorama »

DrHu wrote:
Egorama wrote:Rebooted the PC, F8(bring up 1 time boot device select during POST) Select USB. At the boot menu I chose start installer only. I then completed the interactive section of the install and continued to the file copy sequence, at this point my CD drive spun up for the first time(with my faulty media inserted) and proceeded to copy files from here instead of USB. At about 30% I got the same file copy error as my previous attempt to install from CD as you might predict. At this point I restarted the PC removed the CD and the install from USB worked perfectly.
At this point I restarted the PC removed the CD and the install from USB worked perfectly
Exactly why would you have 2 boot devices loaded into the system
--and the boot order in the bios is what, USB/CD or CD/USB
  • the CD device has the boot files
    the USB device has the boot files
The installer scans the system for mounted media (CD, DVD, USB, Hard drives), it found the first one available CD, and tried to use that

I don't think it is a bug at all, or even a potential one..
I don't think it should be possible to rack up 900+ posts in three weeks but then it's not difficult to be rude is it?

Return to “Beginner Questions”