KDE 4.3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kage

KDE 4.3

Post by kage »

Hi everybody,

KDE 4.3 will be released today. (thats what i read on kde.org)
Can we install it via the repo's?

thnx
kage
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dlkreations

Re: KDE 4.3

Post by dlkreations »

Looks like they changed it because it says 2 days for me.

About installing it though, not too sure if it will become available for Mint, but Kubuntu will have it available in their repo's once it is ready. The only problem there is you will lose your Mint install I am sure.

Boo or another developer will more than likely reply an let people know.
romabacor

Post by romabacor »

I want to update kde 4.3 also , I love linux mint kde, but I prefer kde 4.3 is better, Can I update to kde 4.3 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Please I need this information.
thanks
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

I would Also like to know...... kde 4.2.4 is just not good enough now that kde 4.3 is due to be released in a few hours..... its much superior. the rc3 was great!
I hope there is a way to upgrade to kde 4.3 in Mint.... if not I guess i'll just install the OpenSuse latest Kde remix for 4.3 when it comes out....
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

it should appear in the repo:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main
that in in the /etc/apt/sources.list file already, just uncomment it.

just remember you milage may vary.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
kage

Post by kage »

Hi Boo,

Thnx for your reply
I will uncomment it

Greetz
kage
EnthusOcn

Post by EnthusOcn »

So, seeing as Gloria will be my first run with Linux Mint, I want an authentic Linux Mint experience. Does this imply that I should not upgrade via the Ubuntu repo listed above, and wait for it to be released for Gloria? Will I lose any of the customizations?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

we dont repackage KDE for our own repos.
but I have been working on a mint-configurations-kde package that applies the minty configs.
so if you want KDE 4.3 there is only the ppa repo mentioned above.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I would not be in a hurry to update to 4.3, there are reports of people having problems with the install. I would at least wait a couple of days before even attempting the upgrade, even then I would try this in Virtualbox first to see how thing hold up.

Edit: This repo needs to be added along with the repo Boo mentioned to meet some of KDE 4.3 dependencies.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/staging/ubuntu/
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

cool. so I guess the same upgrade process applies to the instructions on http://www.kubuntu.org/
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

has Anybody managed to successfully update to kde 4.3 in Mint 7 kde......
Im about to try it for myself..... i'll report back in a few hours
ksousa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ksousa »

The "clever" boy crash the box.
I made the upgrade like kubuntu forum ... and ... caput ...
the kde4.3 rc3 works fine with mint !!!
Now install again and stay cool
:(
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

um.... run that by us again....?
are you saying you did the upgrade on mint that kubuntu.org suggests and it stuffed up? kuput? lol
kage

Post by kage »

ksousa wrote:The "clever" boy crash the box.
I made the upgrade like kubuntu forum ... and ... caput ...
the kde4.3 rc3 works fine with mint !!!
Now install again and stay cool
:(
Well, i had the same.
Everything is reinstalled but not with 4.3. I'll wait untill there's a workaround or something.

For now i won't advice to upgrade to kde 4.3

Greetz
kage
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

hmmmmm. i followed the upgrade instructions too, and it didn't upgrade to kde 4.3. Ugh!
this is crapola...... any ideas????
I hope a mint kde 4.3 respin comes out.... cause i can't be bothered recompiling kde... argghhhh.
its a shame.... cause Mint is Awesome.... even the kde version is way better than kubuntu...but you can't upgrade kde as far as i know......
might aswell try the upgrade in kubuntu to see if all goes well..... as much as kubuntu sucks
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

errrrrrr. I take that Back..... I have succesfully upgraded to kde 4.3

I did the typical kubuntu style upgrade..... it failed before because i forgot to tick the boxes of the new repo's i added..... lol. After ticking them, refreshing, then marking all upgrades.... I am running LinuxMint 7 Kde 4.3!!!!! So far so good... but im still testing it..... i will post back after a few more hours of testing its stability.
cheers!

wohooo
Glitchcity

Post by Glitchcity »

I'm new to this Linux business... Can anyone tell me on how to upgrade please? I find the old KDE very buggy.

Thanks
kaddy

Post by kaddy »

ummm.... I take that back AGAIN!
sorry for the mis information.....
It appeared to be working well after i upgraded to kde 4.3, but then when I rebooted, the desktop failed to load from there on....... it really messed it up..... dunnoy why.... arghhhhh. this is shitty.....
if you want kde 4.3 you may aswell use the opensuse 11.1 kde 4.3 live cd remix, or install kubuntu with the upgrade..... it doesn't work in Linux mint just yet..... Im hoping for a kde 4.3 remix soon..... that would be great.... and it would be good for the kde edition of linux mint to stay up to date with the latest kde release..... thats one thing i like about opensuse... as soon as a new kde version comes out.... theres a respin that comes out straight away! Ahwell.... until that happens..... back to OpenSuse..... Although Mint always has a place on my harddrive.... just not kde... because its not possible to keep up to date..... :( Maybe we need some more Mint kde contributors? i would be glad to help out..... but my skills are limited Until i learn more about packaging etc..... ahwell :(
srini2174

Post by srini2174 »

Hi,
I tried to install KDE 4.3 from the PPA repository but ended up completely wiping out the KDE from my Mint installation. Now after a long struggle I managed to get the KDE 4.2.4 installed once again. But I do not know whether I have all the mint specific setting or not. I see "Kubuntu-kde" logo in the Kicker menu. Is there any way by which I can install the mint specific configuration.

Srinivasan.B
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Kubuntu users are having problems upgrading to KDE 4.3, most are reporting that the desktop does not load. I tried the upgrade in Virtualbox, it failed. It looks to me like all of the required packages are not in the ppa repo yet. KDE 4.3 just came out yesterday, so give it a couple of days.

Return to “Software & Applications”