Mint KDE Released, but...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
down8ve
Level 1
Level 1

Mint KDE Released, but...

Post by down8ve »

Congrats to the team for all the hard work on the KDE version. To me, it is rather interesting to see it is released with KDE 4.2.4 the same time as KDE 4.3 is ready for Kubuntu.

I have been searching for a good 64-bit KDE4 distro, and have been surprised to learn how good Kubuntu can be. My Kubuntu 64-bit is updating to the final release after using the KDE 4.3 RC3 for a week with no issues whatsoever.

I think the key with Kubuntu is to use Synaptic for most updates and installations. With Medibuntu and various PPA repos it works very well, with no crashes or hard restarts. Maybe others have had bad experiences with Kubuntu... I know I have. But with KDE 4.3 many of the issues I had in the past have disappeared.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: Mint KDE Released, but...

Post by AK Dave »

Gloria KDE has been in the works for a while. It is based on Jaunty Kubuntu, thus the version of KDE that comes in Gloria KDE is pretty much the same as you'd find in a fresh install of Jaunty. If you want KDE 4.3 on either Gloria or Jaunty, you go to the KDE ppa and install it. Viola! Its not a problem at all.
down8ve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by down8ve »

Ha! I'm here eating my own hat... Kubuntu exploded after the update from RC3 to final.

Gloria is downloading as we speak.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I just checked out Kubuntu 9.10 and upgraded it to KDE 4.3 final, it was not faster, the menu hangs on shut down and restart, etc. Mint 7 KDE runs much better for me and seems a lot less buggy in my opinion. I am sticking with KDE 4.2.4 for a while.
down8ve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by down8ve »

I've cleared out all the .whatever files from my separate home directory to install Mint KDE. Kubuntu worked very well as 4.3 RC3, but the update process is a mess. Could be x64 related only, but I'd rather have stuff work than be a 64-bit purist at this point.
down8ve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by down8ve »

Mint KDE is really good, but I also looked at the KDE 4.3 live cd (openSuse 11.1) at the same time. Both were installed and evaluated. The reason I decided to go with the Suse is because KDE 4.3 is so much better than 4.2.4 I cannot stand to go back anymore. Another thing I've learned is that there are other rewards to using a openSuse distro, like certain softwares that are available if you are willing to do the work. Playing with Google Chrome, for example.

Although Mint KDE is terrific, openSuse is quick with various updates and does not lag behind a "main" counterpart by a few months. This is not meant as a slam against the work done here, just a summation of my opinions. A user who is not comfortable with searching for various codecs and the horror of YAST should choose Mint instead.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

down8ve wrote:Mint KDE is really good, but I also looked at the KDE 4.3 live cd (openSuse 11.1) at the same time. Both were installed and evaluated. The reason I decided to go with the Suse is because KDE 4.3 is so much better than 4.2.4 I cannot stand to go back anymore. Another thing I've learned is that there are other rewards to using a openSuse distro, like certain softwares that are available if you are willing to do the work. Playing with Google Chrome, for example.

Although Mint KDE is terrific, openSuse is quick with various updates and does not lag behind a "main" counterpart by a few months. This is not meant as a slam against the work done here, just a summation of my opinions. A user who is not comfortable with searching for various codecs and the horror of YAST should choose Mint instead.
That just sounds strange to me as stated above you can install kde 4.3 very easily from the KDE PPA and you can play with google chrome on any linux distro :shock:
down8ve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by down8ve »

Carl wrote:
That just sounds strange to me as stated above you can install kde 4.3 very easily from the KDE PPA and you can play with google chrome on any linux distro :shock:
See previous posts in this and other forums regarding upgrading Mint KDE or other Kubuntu-based distros to 4.3 for your answers.

Return to “Chat about Linux”