[SOLVED] CD drive does not recognize / read blank CD disk

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oddjob

[SOLVED] CD drive does not recognize / read blank CD disk

Post by oddjob »

Hi,

First of all, since this is my first post, I must say that I'm a proud Mint user. This is best out-of-the-box distro I ever tried.

Now, about my CD drive. I have one CD recorder and one DVD recorder. I have been using them for quite some time flawlessly.

Some days ago I decided to burn a CD, but I didn't and I forgot the blank CD on the CD drive. The next day, when I turned on the computer I saw the blank CD icon on the deskop and removed the disk. A few days later I decided to burn another CD and when I inserted the blank CD, nothing happened. Neither the system or the software "notices" the presence of the blank CD.

I don't think it's related to the CD itself because I tested it on the DVD drive and it worked. I also tried other blank CDs but they didn't work on the CD drive.

But when I insert recorded, not blank CDs, they work fine.

I'm sorry if this is already fixed somewhere here, but I already searched this forum and couldn't find anything that would fit into my situation.

Thank you for your attention.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: CD drive does not recognize / read blank CD disk anymore

Post by lagagnon »

Instead of expecting some window to pop up whenever you do something, have you in fact looked at the icons in "Computer" when you click that icon on your desktop and see if it has your CDROM drive listed there. What happens when you double click that CDROM icon?
oddjob

Post by oddjob »

Hi,

I just inserted again a blank media and I clicked on the CD drive on Computer and it said:
"Unable to mount location - No media in the drive".

And thanks for your reply.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Well yes, it will give you that message if it is a blank CD! Try a data CD or an image (ISO) CD and see if that works
oddjob

Post by oddjob »

I inserted Linux Mint 7 Gloria XFCE CD on the CD drive that I recorded some days ago on it.

The icon shows the name of the CD and I when I clicked on it , it opened as usual, perfect.

And when I inserted again a blank CD it finally recognized it! Why?? I tried that before, inserting a data CD or iso and then a blank CD but it didn't work!

Did you fix it without I knowing it? :lol:

I can't believe this is happening! I tried that several times and it didn't work. I tried ejecting and unmounting the CD drive using the terminal.

It works perfectly now, the blank cd icon appears again. I will record a iso now just to see how it goes and later I will add [SOLVED] to the topic .

Well, thanks a lot for your time!
oddjob

Post by oddjob »

When I tried to record an iso image K3b stopped working. And the problem reappeared. I rebooted, did the insert data CD and swap for a blank one again and it worked!

I burned 2 isos perfectly.

Thank you again, I know I could have used the DVD recorder but I was having issues running CDs, that were recorded on the DVD drive, on a older computer.

Fortunately, I will make an post later about me runing Mint Fluxbox on a older system, thanks to you.

Thanks, again, for your help.

Return to “Hardware Support”