Upgrade

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
electronmage

Upgrade

Post by electronmage »

Here's a silly question. :lol:

I am currently running Mint 6.0 on my MSI Wind. If I want to upgrade to 7.0, will I lose all of my personal files, or does it work around them while installing the new OS?

EM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Upgrade

Post by SiKing »

Depends! Don't you love precise answers? :D
How did you install originally - do you have a separate /home partition? How do you intend to install LM7 - update (I don't know if it is available yet) or complete reinstall?
intoDesign.ca

Post by intoDesign.ca »

Rule #1 - When in doubt, always back up your files
Rule #2 - Even when not in doubt, back up your files

If you created a separate /home partiton upon your original install, then you should be fine. All you have to do is choose the same partition as a /home partition and make sure format is *not* checked.

My understanding is that if there are multiple users on the current system, you will have to recreate them in the same order you did originally.

If you created one partition (a / partiton only) then you will have to backup all your data as you will loose everything in the /home partiton.

I would conquer a previous poster on a previous thread, create a /media/data and house all of your personal data there. You can even take it a step further and create that partition as a FAT32 partiton and you can access it from windows if you dual boot.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

electronmage,

Check this thread. It should answer any questions you might have on installation and partitioning.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Installation & Boot”