MInt and AM2 motherboards

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

MInt and AM2 motherboards

Post by cakehead »

I am intending to upgrade my computer next week and I was wondering if Mint 2.2 has a problem running on a 64 bit machine. I have installed mint on a socket 754 machine for a friend and it run great, but has anyone installed Mint on a AM2 machine with integrated graphics ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Got a Biostar NF61S Micro - NF61S
Biostar NF61S Micro Socket AM2 / DDR2 800
PCI-E / GeForce 6100 Onboard
with a AMD Athlon64 3500+, and a another Biostar board, with
a Sempron 64 3.4 GHz also with GeForce 6100 Onboard. No problems, only
integrated sound does not work with Bianca on first board but does with
Cassandra.
Have not got any dual core systems.

Nick
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

Thanks for that Nick, is Cassandra worth upgrading to or would I be better waiting for the final release ?
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
That is a matter of opinion, I find it faster, no major problems for me, But
a)I always install KDE :) so there, I could not be giving you a fair opinion,
b)At least it has got sound working on first motherboard
c) I have no widow partitions to access or any wifi.

So maybe others should really give you an opinion

Nick
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

What I think I should do is try to install Bianca and see if it works and wait for the Cassandra final release. If it ain't broken then don't fix it !
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

What I think I should do is try to install Bianca and see if it works and wait for the Cassandra final release. If it ain't broken then don't fix it !
Thats the way I think, I have been using Linux for ten years and rarely use any distro as my "main distro" until it has been out a few months

Let other people sort out the bugs :)
Nick
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

I have been looking at the Biostar NF61S Micro Socket AM2 / DDR2 800. It looks OK for the money ! Is it a reliable board ?
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
I have only had the board about two months but no problems, it only has one IDE socket, the audio is very good, but does not work in Bianca.
There is a patch for audio I used, not sure where I got it from, but it is called realtek-linux-audiopack-3.5-6b in my home directory,

I use a Delta 44 soundcard, because of ham radio requirments and the onboard sound is neary as good as that

Your in UK, like me, try CCL they have offer with processor

Nick
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

Thanks for the CCL recommendation Nick but I prefer to buy my components local. I am in Aberdeen and I have a shop close to me that is excellent on swap-out of faulty goods. I pay a few quid more but I like the personal attention of my local trader.
I have only bought on-line once, they sent me the wrong stuff and it took a month to sort it out.
I have decided to stick with Asus motherboards for now because the Asus I am using works, logic suggests if one works so will the rest !
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

I have a shop close to me
I wish I had, and I am in North Essex :)

Only bought that board to make computer for testing distros- board, Semperon, and 512mb Ram for £60(ish) had disks and case

Asus boards are much better but I would advise avoiding any with jmicron controller, has caused all sorts of problems

Just Google jmicron linux :) or jmicron asus :)

Nick
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I would personally suggest using the latest Cassandra beta (014)... it is very near release with only some minor mostly aesthetic bugs...

The final release is close, and it will be able to upgrade from the beta to final without reinstalling.

I find it to be very stable, and as it uses a newer kernel version it is also more likely to work properly with newer hardware... although I expect bianca would work just fina as well...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

I will be upgrading to Cassandra when the final release erm.... is released ! Do you know if there will be a DVD version as I don't have any CDR's left. Thanks for your recommendation NiksaVel I am very happy with MInt, though I find the versions come a little to often for my liking.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

no it's a CD release, but there is no problem with burning a CD ISO to a DVD disc ... there's plenty of room after all... done it myself number of times when I was out of CD-Rs :D

if bianca "works" for you, there is no reason whatsoever to upgrade to cassandra immediatelly...
Don't follow the classic M$ induced mindset... must have the newest latest fastest thing... if Bianca works fine for your needs, why would you need to change anything? :D
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

Bianca works exceptionally well for me. I like to play with my computer, always tweaking, upgrading hardware and software. I have a removable rack so that I can change hard drives, I install my OS often. I assume Cassandra will be slightly better at handling newer components (ie: 64bit ) than Bianca. Microsoft ? Who ?? LOL I have left Microsoft behind a long time ago, using LInux demonstrates the fact that I don't follow the classic M$ induced brainwashing mindset ...... Windows XP has not been on my computer for years now and Vista won't even get in my house let alone my hard drive. With Microsoft products you also get a lot of free stuff like virus's, spyware, trojans, hackers, internet popups ! wow what am I missing !! lol.........

Return to “Other topics”