Samba permissions issue

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RedWagon

Samba permissions issue

Post by RedWagon »

I recently upgraded the server at our photography studio. We have a dedicated server running Ubuntu that does nothing but share files through Samba to the rest of the studio. All the computers that connect to it run Windows, except for my workstation which is running Mint 6/7 64 bit.

To access the old server I just logged everything in using the default user name and password I created on install. This time around I created a new user just for accessing Samba shares in order to tighten security a little, the only problem is that my Linux workstation is throwing permission fits because the new files are owned by user id 1001 instead of 1000. Windows of course barges on ahead since everything is running as admin anyways.

new vs old:

Code: Select all

drwxr-xr-x  2 root     1001      0 2009-07-31 14:48 Heaven Hill picnic 2009 2009-07-08
drwxr-xr-x  2 verdow verdow      0 2009-06-29 17:35 Heaven Hill website corporate
Is there some way I can tell Linux that 1001 is not root and it's ok for me to edit 1001's files?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: Samba permissions issue

Post by RedWagon »

Here is the servers smb.conf file:

Code: Select all

lakeview@mitx:~/md0/Pictures$ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf 
[global]
netbios name = mitx
workgroup = LAKEVIEW
encrypt passwords = true

wins support = yes
os level = 33

security = user

browsable = yes

[raid]
vfs object = recycle
recycle:repository = /home/lakeview/md0/RecycleBin
recycle:keeptree = yes
recycle:touch = yes
recycle:versions = yes
path = /home/lakeview/md0
read only = no
admin users = suser

[TimeMachine]
path = /home/lakeview/backup/inc/
read only = yes
I forgot the admin users line was in there, but no matter what I do I can't get write permissions for suser without it.

Return to “Software & Applications”