Recording audio through soundcard

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
littlejoe5

Re: Recording audio through soundcard

Post by littlejoe5 »

If I understand you rightly you are trying to record streaming audio from the internet to a file on your own computer using audacity. I don't think that that is a feature of audacity. I could be wrong and there might be a recommended way to do it. I did however find a way to do it - a workaround.

If you can plug into the earphone jack with a patch cord that will allow you to plug the other end of it into the microphone input, you can adjust the output volume from the streaming audio, and record to a file in audacity. Problem: you must run some experiments to get the volume right. The microphone input is not designed to recieve so much volume as the earphone jack puts out. Another problem is that you are passing it from digital to analog and back by this process. The loss can be great or negligible. And on some systems it might not work at all.

It did my laptop no harm, but I can't swear that it will not hurt your system. It is after-all a 'work around". If someone has a simpler or safer way, I'm interested also.
littlejoe5
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igorzwx

Re: Recording audio through soundcard

Post by igorzwx »

You may try jack with Audacity.
And you may also try an old version of Audacity (but it may not work with pulseaudio).

The best solutions might be a kind of streamripper
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ub ... oq=&aqi=g1

MPlayer (command line) may do the work too.

Return to “Sound”