Installed like 5 times... what to do next

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: Installed like 5 times... what to do next

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello mikeymayhem, and Welcome to Linux Mint (even if you can't install it properly) It sounds like your hard-drive had died, as that is the only problem I can think of with those systems. You say you *had* to reboot, but are you aware of the ctrl+alt+del shortcut for restarting the graphical interface without rebooting? I guess the reason there's no repair option is because it's not worth it, Mint installs in *under* half an hour, and very few people have unrecoverable problems like yours, so it's not worth the development effort.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hi,
Another thing to try . . Boot the Live CD, and on the first Green Mint screen (when it starts to count down), hit the spacebar, scroll down & run memtest

It'll take a while, let it run, . . I've worked on client pc's where memory errors don't pop up until the last pass.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I'd have to agree with the general consensus here. It sounds like either a memory problem, or a failing hard drive.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

If you can boot the Live CD, go into GParted (Partition Manager), there you will see the drives & partitions.
You can post the list here, or a screenshot . . .

Richy

EDIT: Or you can type df -h into a terminal.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Have you tried an install without the TravelDrive hooked up?

Return to “Installation & Boot”