There's good stuff in the Karmic Koala repositories :D

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

There's good stuff in the Karmic Koala repositories :D

Post by Lantesh »

Due to the dreaded Intel issue I had to dump the 2.6.28 Kernel. I tried various fixes, but in the end it was easier to just ditch the kernel. I tried several including some custom and mainline kernels, but finally ended up with the 2.6.31 pae kernel from the Karmic repos which seems to work the best, and the pae (physical address extension) is nice as it allows Gloria to address all 4 gigs of my RAM. Another nice bonus from Karmic I installed is Gnome 2.27.5. I wouldn't recommend doing this as you can screw your system up royally, but if like to take chances the rewards are there. 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lantesh

Re: There's good stuff in the Karmic Koala repositories :D

Post by Lantesh »

Ok I got really crazy tonight after work, and decided to upgrade all packages to those available in Karmic. I figured I had already done the major system stuff, so if I was careful and went slowly it could be done, and I was right. I now basically am running a Mint 7 / Karmic Koala ba$tard child. I'd imagine this is pretty close to what Mint 8 will be. :D

I did have a couple of hiccups, including having to purge and re-install ALSA. I also encountered a bug that's new in Karmic:
compiz --replace fails to kill metacity, resulting in cpu overload
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/389686

That had me going nuts for about an hour. Other than that everything worked out great. 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”