Question about installing grub on second hard drive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
firefighter
Level 2
Level 2

Question about installing grub on second hard drive

Post by firefighter »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install mint5kde onto a second sata internal hard drive in my computer. My question is about grub installation. The default is to install it on the mbr of my first hard drive. I want to install the boot loader onto the root of the second hard drive as I use a floppy version of gag to boot the two drives. Not sure how to type it in correctly. Could someone guide me on this? In a regular install of mint and ubuntu, when I click advanced, it gives me the option to install on the root of the second hard drive. Just have never payed attention on how to manually type it in. I think that it should be: hd1,1. Would this be correct?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Question about installing grub on second hard drive

Post by Boo »

It should be nearly the same as the default one in advanced but hd1 instead of hd0.
I can not remember if it is hd1 or hd1,0 or hd1,1. but if the default is hd0,1 would make it hd1,1 and so on.

I thought it was just hd0 or hd1 since the part after the "," is the partition.
ie hd<disk>,<partition>

the mbr is at the start of a disk not the start of a partition, that is why i think you dont need the partition bit.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
firefighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by firefighter »

Boo,
Thanks for your reply. You have steered me in the direction that I needed. I do want to install it in the "root" directory of the second sata drive. This is the drive that Mint5KDE would be installed on using the whole drive. In other words, first sata drive: Windows only, second sata drive: Mint only. Want to place grub in the root directory and us GAG on a floppy to boot the system. Have Ubuntu on the second sata right now and that is how I boot it up. Works fine. What threw me was that under the "advanced" option on installing grub was that I had to manually time in where I wanted it. I just wasn't sure, and didn't want to install and not be able to boot the fresh install of Mint! So type in advanced: hd1 (second hard drive), 1 (root directory)?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

hd1 (second hard drive), 1 (root directory)?
well sort of
hd1 (second hard drive), 1 (second partition)
so if your first partition on the second disk is the / directory/partition (or /boot) then it should be hd1,0..
but if your / is on the say the 3 partition the it shoud be hd1,2

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
firefighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by firefighter »

Thanks Boo,

I guess that I was thinking that the mbr of the second drive was the first directory, but now that I think about it, it wouldn't be listed as a directory at all. So, if I understand correctly, the /(root) directory for the second hard drive, if I told the install to use the whole drive and automatically format, would be hd1,0. Right?

Sorry to keep asking, just want to be sure I am on the same page about this.
Fred

Post by Fred »

firefighter,

Each storage device has an MBR/MPR area. It is the first 512 byte sector on the drive or storage device. Actually, the first 446 bytes is where the grub kernel or other boot pointer/routine goes. The last 66 bytes of the first 512 byte sector is the MPR, (Master Partition Record). Each storage device, real or virtual, is numbered in grub notation starting at 0. Example: (hd0) = sda, (hd1) = sdb, (hd2) = sdc, etc.

Partitions on a storage device are numbered in grub beginning with 0, and are the second number in grub notation. Each partition has its' own area where the grub kernel or other boot pointer/routine goes. Example: (hd0,0) = sda1, (hd0,1) = sda2, (hd1,2) = sdb3, etc. This is not a part of the file system, / or otherwise. It is part of the partitioning layout and is unrelated to the file system on that partition.

To look at it in a very simplistic way, you can think in terms of the BIOS points to a bootable kernel,(grub on the boot drive), which points to a menu, which points to a bootable kernel. This last bootable kernel can be either a Linux kernel, a Windows loader, or another bootable grub kernel located on the MBR of another drive or another partition, virtual or real. This chain can continue until the booted kernel is smart enough to bring up the system.

If you want more in depth information you can look at the thread below beginning with the post referenced.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ise#p63253

Fred
firefighter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by firefighter »

Thanks Fred,

See that we are from the same state. I don't know of any linux people in my area. If they are around here, they are deep underground. I ask different people in the area that have some knowledge of computers and they just glaze over or go blank when I talk about linux distros. :shock: So, I just plug along and read a little, search the forums a little, experiment a little. Nice to know that someone in my state uses linux. I must admit though, I am kind of out in the country; job requires it. So, I really don't expect to find that many. Thanks again for the information.

Return to “Software & Applications”