VirtualBox Setup

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ron4ex

VirtualBox Setup

Post by ron4ex »

How To Install VirtualBox on Felicia?
VirtualBox is installed successfully from synaptic package manager.
It is able to open it as well.
In fact, an OS configuration can be made as well.

The actual PROBLEM occurs when the START buttun is clicked in VirtualBox OSE.

As seen in the error image, the error says to run the command /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup as root user. Also, /dev/vboxdrv does not exist in my filesystem.

Having done that in terminal, the notification says No suitable module for running kernel found.

I have 2.6.27.7 kernel version as default alongwith 2.6.27.14 'generic' and 'server' versions.

After finding out the notification "NO SUITABLE MODULE FOR RUNNING KERNEL FOUND", I tried to reinstall the virtualbox from terminal and while it was processing the installation, I found that when it tries to load the module vboxdrv(2.0), the same notification is displayed once again that is NO SUITABLE MODULE FOR RUNNING KERNEL FOUND.

Can anyone please tell me which packages to install to fix this problem? I have already installed header files for my kernel and DKMS as well.
OR
Is there a problem with my kernel version? Does any one know on which kernel virtual box runs successfully?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rattle

Re: VirtualBox Setup

Post by Rattle »

Looks like you have to add your user to the group Virtualbox. Log out and in again after you have done that.
ron4ex

Post by ron4ex »

I added myself as vbox user and then did the things once again....................Same error mate..........any other way please?
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

Hmm. Did you install from apt-get or from virtualbox.org?

I installed version 3.0 from virtualbox.org without any configuration or extra packages needed.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

You should uninstall VB and then browse to the .VirtualBox folder and delete it, then start from scratch with the PUEL version.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Make sure you select the Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid package.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Open a terminal and enter:
sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
atlef.
ron4ex

Post by ron4ex »

markcynt wrote:You should uninstall VB and then browse to the .VirtualBox folder and delete it, then start from scratch with the PUEL version.

Thanks Mate..................your idea worked..............
ron4ex

Post by ron4ex »

Rattle wrote:Hmm. Did you install from apt-get or from virtualbox.org?

I installed version 3.0 from virtualbox.org without any configuration or extra packages needed.

Thanks..............version 3.0 works well............
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

ron4ex wrote:
markcynt wrote:You should uninstall VB and then browse to the .VirtualBox folder and delete it, then start from scratch with the PUEL version.

Thanks Mate..................your idea worked..............
Your welcome.

Return to “Software & Applications”