KDE 4.3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brute

Re: KDE 4.3

Post by brute »

Did you try going into the login manager, seems like that happened to me once and I was able to correct it there.
dafi

Post by dafi »

hm i updated it only with the ubuntu backports mentioned in this thread
then going to the console

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
After a while of downloading and configuring i was asked if i want to overwrite a config-file (i don't know exactly the name, but i think it was a kde-desktop-config-file because when i hit "d" to see the differences between the two files, it showed me some stuff about oxygen-air and plasma settings). I did not overwrite the file (choose N) and everything was fine after restart...
And there was another plus :-)
After restart not only everything was as i left it (only in 4.3 ;-)) but also the ugly gnome-network-manager was replaced with the absolutly good looking knetworkmanager plasmoid...

So the (Testing) Laptop is working fine... now i'm going to install the whole thing again on my desktop.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

dafi, I did the exact same thing as you, only I tried it in Virtualbox. Do you notice any problems with the menu staying open when you shut down or re-start? I am trying to figure out if this is a bug or a setting that the upgrade has changed.
dafi

Post by dafi »

Ähm, don't know, i'll test it in a minute on my desktop pc, just installed kde4.3...
I'm posting here because i got the filename of the file i mentioned in my last post:

Code: Select all

/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
Edit after reboot:
Thats strange, i did exact the same things as on my laptop but got the same problem as gltichcity. My desktop was empty O.O
alanstanley

Post by alanstanley »

kaddy wrote:well.... I havn't tested the upgrade of kde 4.3 on Linux Mint since the missing libs have been uploaded to the repo.... So I can't guarentee that it will be successful or not....
but if it does stuff up, you can remove it and go back to what you had.......

open up a konsole
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

scroll down to the bottom and copy and paste

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main

and

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/staging/ubuntu jaunty main

press ctrl and x and choose Y to save all changes

then type in konsole

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8AC93F7A

accept

then type in

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

it will refresh and install the upgrades.... accept any changes. Let it do its thing.

Let me know how you go
I won't get a chance to try this in Linux mint until tonight....
but it works perfect in Kubuntu, so i don't see why it won't now work in Mint.

Good Luck...
Backup all your data just incase.... and only try this upgrade if your not too worried if you bork it! lol.... but it should run smooth now.

kaddy
Just want to say that following the above post worked perfectly on my Acer Aspire T180 with an ATI graphics card - though I also followed this advice from dafi;
'After a while of downloading and configuring i was asked if i want to overwrite a config-file (i don't know exactly the name, but i think it was a kde-desktop-config-file because when i hit "d" to see the differences between the two files, it showed me some stuff about oxygen-air and plasma settings). I did not overwrite the file (choose N) and everything was fine after restart...'

In fact the fresh install of Mint7 KDE was unusable due to constant crashing with the desktop effects enabled - there are no such problems for me with 4.3.
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

I decided to hold off on upgrading to 4.3 based on the wide range of experiences folks have had. I *did* however download the Karmic alpha Kubuntu LiveCD and take the new KDE 4.3 for a test-drive. And I have to say I was FLOORED by the experience. So many bugs were fixed, and so many features were enhanced that I would call it a generational upgrade from the 4.2 series. Desktop effects really work and the default settings are chosen with productivity in mind, not just eye-candy. Downloading and installing widgets via the cashew works a LOT better (not 100% yet). And I don't see that crazy memory leak from DBUS when running widgets that access the internet. The tray is smooth and 100% functional. The new theme is just plain slick! With Karmic coming in a couple of months, a re-spin of Gloria probably doesn't make sense. But I am expecting that Helena-KDE will be an extraordinary release!

--Akshun J
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

famaster wrote:Hi all,

I am still using Mint KDE 6 because of graphic driver problems in Gloria (xorg only supports the ati driver that dropped support for my card). I was wondering if there was a way to install KDE 4.3 on Felicia. I'm not sure using launchpad would still work for it.

If not, that's ok, I looked at Mint KDE 7 and it's great, and probably better with 4.3. I'll just have a smaller display :|

Thanks!
I'm not sure what model ATI you have, but this may be of interest to you. http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-Linu ... 9463.shtml
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

I'm afraid kaddy's method didn't work for me. The computer froze when it tried to install the downloaded updates.

Fresh install, enabled backports repo, did a "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade". No luck. :(
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

aelfinn wrote:I'm afraid kaddy's method didn't work for me. The computer froze when it tried to install the downloaded updates.

Fresh install, enabled backports repo, did a "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade". No luck. :(
Worked now. This time, I additionally imported the key and removed korganizer and kontact. Only issue: I had to re-install the task panel.

Speaking of which: how would I be able to reproduce the original Mint 7 KDE colour scheme, with a black background system tray etc.? Any help much appreciated! :)
srini2174

Post by srini2174 »

Hi
Finally I decided to take the plunge after an unsuccessful attept to updgrade to KDE 4.3. This time I followed the instruction given in this post and I was able to upgrade successfully. I am posting the steps which I followed so that I may be of some use to others.

1) I used sudo apt-get update & mintupdate dist-upgrade after enabling the ppa repositories. I had the following error

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-workspace-bin_4%3a4.3.0-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa5_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kconf_update_bin/plasma-add-shortcut-to-menu', which is also in package kde-window-manager
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/konqueror_4%3a4.3.0-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa3_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/kde4/apps/dolphinpart/kpartplugins/kshellcmdplugin.rc', which is also in package dolphin

2) I removed the kde-window-manager and dolphin (noted down the packages dependent on dolphin)
3) I reinstalled kdebase-workspace-bin, konqueror, kde-window-manager and dolphin in that order.
4) I also reinstalled the all the packages which were removed for dependency when dolphin was removed.
5) Finally rerun the command mintupdate dist-upgrade. Choose to keep the /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc when prompted for it.
6) Rebooted and logged in the command line mode (using Ctrl+Alt+F1 at the login screen)
7) I removed the .kde and .qt folders in my home directory
8) Rebooted and login in normally. Now I was able to get KDE 4.3 successfully.

I have used this for almost a day now and I must say that I am very much impressed with this version of KDE. There are lots and lots of improvement and it is highly responsive. The only issue I have now that kde desktop logo appears at the top of the kicker menu.

Srinivasan.B
brute

Post by brute »

Does anyone know if the Kubuntu backports are down? I had Mint installed with 4.3 and I needed to do a fresh install of Windows and Mint and now with the enabled repository of kubuntu backports it will not upgrade the desktop. Let me know what ya think. Thanks.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I was told that KDE 4.3.1 was coming into the repos pretty soon.

Return to “Software & Applications”