LOST DESKTOP WHEN USING GCONF-EDITOR

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brian36

LOST DESKTOP WHEN USING GCONF-EDITOR

Post by brian36 »

Trying to install trashcan on desktop, I used Alt F2 > gconf-editor > apps > nautalus > desktop selected trashcan. Result- destop went blank apart from taskbar (no desktop icons). Selecting home folder from the menu does nothing. I was able to install a new administrator user. Logging into that and navigating around proved that all folders were ok on the original desktop. It's finger trouble on my part I know, but I would like to know where I went wrong.
Any ideas?
RIG: MaxData3000, Mint 7, RAM 4GB, mobo P5LD2-VN, E6300
Sorry just realised I should've put this under 'GNOME'.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: LOST DESKTOP WHEN USING GCONF-EDITOR

Post by DrHu »

Based on what you say, nothing was wrong..
  • Can you logon as the original user name
    --however you logon for now with new admin user ?from a terminal, try this
    • alt F1
      sudo /etc/init.d stop
      --login as the original user name
      sudo /etc/init.d start
      --desktop appears as ?
    • Run the gconf-edit again
      try unsetting [x]trash_icon_visible
--you can use the trash icon in mint menu>Places>Trash, to open or empty the trash
--you can also see it in ~/.local/share/Trash/ (alt H or h (both work) to show hidden files in your /home/user-name directory)); user-name is the logged in user

Or you could try creating a name for trash (trash_icon_name), which is initially set as [no value>, uses the system's default name Trash: and seeing if that works

Screenshot of that selection..
brian36

Post by brian36 »

Hi DrHu: I couldn't get the command 'sudo /etc/init.d stop' to work. It didn't recognise it. 'init.d' being a directory had loads of stuff inside. I trawled around a bit, but it looks like I'll have to do a bit more research. However, I logged into the new administrator user, copied a renamed version of the '.gconf' directory onto memstick (to get around the permissions problem). I then copied that back into the the original user using KDE which I had installed, previously. I then renamed the old '.gconf' as '.gconfOLD' and renamed the new one, from the new admin user as '.gconf'. Logged out and back in with GNOME. That seemed to work. All my files and icons are now visible on my desktop. Bit of a fiddle. Now to test it. I WILL read up on gconf in depth before I dare risk it again! I have another machine I can use to experiment with.
Thanks
Bri
brian36

Post by brian36 »

The original problem was to install the Trashcan. I should've used Menu > mintDesktop then ticked and applied 'Trash'. 'Deleted items' icon then appears on the Desktop. Hmmm - why didn't I look before!

Return to “Software & Applications”