Windows Dependancy

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InnerSymbiance

Windows Dependancy

Post by InnerSymbiance »

Hi Guys, Hi Clem, Hi Husse and all my fellow Mint users,

So here I am still using Mint 6 (x64) and enjoying it always, however (and I had this with other people I have brought to Linux and Mint recently). I have been for the record, using some flavor of Linux for some time (SUSE, Debian, Mint and so on) but I hate to have dependency on M$ Windows (any Flavor). Why?, well (and this talk features frequently in our household) I create Artwork, Compose music and make Videos (and much..much more!). I use a variety of Programs from Sony and other Brand names to achieve my results. (Acid, Photoshop, Studio, Vegas and so on..). My argument has always been if a team got together and revamped Gimp (Gimp is nice, but the GUI and multiple screens is a pain) do something for us Music types (Reaper, Acid, Cakewalk etc..) that doesn't require Farting around with JACK and all that. What would in my humble opinion would knock M$ off it's perch is exactly that easy to use, direct tools. (yes I know the theory of Linux, Open Source and all that too) I understand that money talks, money (sadly) makes things happen. Coders way back in the C64/Amiga/AtariST days (yes, I come from that ear) released programs like Electro Sound 64, Soundtracker, Noisetracker, Protracker and a whole multitude of similar programs (life was good!) why can't the same be for Linux, sure there is an abundance of software for the taking and using, sure there is diversity but until Linux has the Definitive Audio, Graphic and Video Tool it will forever be an uphill battle.

Yes, I have done the Virtual Windows-in-my-Linux and sure WINE, for a few applications is good, but it is still emulation (even on a Quad Phenom it can't run Acid smoothly..). Gimp could be so much more than it is, it tries and for the best part it does what it does good. I know, you'll cry of course money would make things happen, people need to eat and drink.

- I understand this, I do (coming from coding C64 games..I know, I really do) but for us 'Artists' be if Graphic, Visual, Audio or all three, the choice is not the best thus, dependency on M$. I hear so-called Tech-Gods (recently!) say "Oh Linux, er, ummm, yeah.. it could do that". Promoting Mint/Linux is one thing, I would wear a T-shirt 24/7 (well, I mean, except when I sleep ..hehe) promoting Mint and I have enlightened many and brought them to the Mint Stable, to name a few, one is a Graphic Artist (Stuck in Adobe land..), one is a PHP coder (so he's happy Mint can do, what he needs) and others do Video work.

Look at it this way, for M$ think 'Music' and you Get Sony, Cakewalk, Magix and more. Let's say "Graphics" and for M$ you get Adobe, and Photoshop variants (Lots!) and a lot of money being paid (Update->upgrade->Update THE upgrade and so on). For Video work there's Pinnacle Studio, Vegas and more..

What needs to change is the same kind of response for Linux. I hate M$ and no, I am not Young or wet-behind-the-ears this will be my 32nd year involved in all things Computers, so I can guess some of the replies this post will invoke. I hate M$ because of both their Business style and ethics, Because of Bill who thinks he is the self-righteous God of all Software and because the:

-> Update
-> Oops my System is compromised ('Again')
-> Update that hole and make another one ('Again')
-> Pay more please. ('Again')
-> P.s. You MUST use Internet Explorer because we are a law upon to ourselves when it comes to Browsing the Internet
-> Pay more please.

Why is it that all PC's must have Windows on them by default or more importantly why do I need Windows to do everything. I thought (like the old days) I build my machines, how I like, with what I like and then install any OS I like (Gawd, I miss Beos!) and then when I want to do something Creative I have to go back to Windows, that is what I hate.

Reading Bill's letters from days past, my god he was (is!) a self-righteous-P***k. Look at the letters regarding DOS that he sent to his Buddies...

Maybe hate is too strong a word, I sound like someone on a Warpath ranting and waffling on about this, but I love Linux, I love Mint even more, I just wish (and hope) that one day I can do a Format /U and never go back to M$.. The day when I choose what is on my machine, and I don't have to share it with anyone but myself (By choice or otherwise!)

Linux and Mint have so much potential .. Sure you can build the field, we just need to get people to come to it!.

Respectfully,
~InnerSymbiance~
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Etoja
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Windows Dependancy

Post by Etoja »

Wow! Exactly my thoughts. As far as Linux has no REAL full-fledged alternatives to Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition-Sound Forge there wouldn't be any real threat to Windows domination and no increase in Linux supporters.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Have you tried Ubuntu Studio? It's basically the best Linux has to offer for what you're describing. It still has to rely on what's out there in the Open-source world though, so if Gimp is not adequate for your needs, then you're out of luck. You could try posting specific feature requests for each tool that falls short - note that saying do it like xyz windows tool is not generally good enough, but giving an example from the windows world is ok, after you've defined what it is you want. Features will only get developed if they're thought of.

One of the major differences that many people don't notice with open-source, is that the developers almost certainly use the software they're writing extensively, so they will be the most familiar with both it's externals and internals (though that can also blinker them too). Anything you suggest which would be a commonly used feature is a valuable to them, as it also improves their own use.

Compare this to many commercial apps - do you really think that most of the top developers use the stuff themselves? Unlikely. It's much more likely that they've been contracted out (either to another department, or another company) to create the software to someone else's specifications. When this is the case, the hardest thing is seperating out what they want the app to do from what they actually say. Open-source solves the problem by the fact that the developers know exactly what they want to do with the software.

Hmm, sorry, I diverged a bit there, but I'll let it stand anyway.
dnmint

Re: Windows Dependancy -Help for IE

Post by dnmint »

I have Gloria 64 bit. Working well.
I installed Wine & Wine doors. Through Wine Doors I installed ( I think) Intenet Explorer 6.0. I could access it a couple of times( it shows up in Mint Menu under Internet).
However for last few days it takes me to a site called Drupal which says 'The site is not accessible due to technical reasons'
I need to use Int Exp for some of my banking, stock trade & Lotus Notes Email account with my organisation.
I have kept Windows on my system just for that.
Any help on Int Exp on Wine Doors or other methids please.
Thanks
Fred

Post by Fred »

dnmint wrote:
I need to use Int Exp for some of my banking, stock trade & Lotus Notes Email account with my organisation. I have kept Windows on my system just for that.
It would scare me to death to use IE/Windows for anything financial! You are more of a risk taker than I am. :-)

Fred
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

InnerSymbiance wrote:So here I am still using Mint 6 (x64) I have been for the record, using some flavor of Linux for some time (SUSE, Debian, Mint and so on) ...
Can't say I would agree that a niche product line will be able to knock Microsoft off its comfortable perch at all
--custom audio/video, cad systems; not profitable on a world stage (the big news, big numbers financial markets..), but would be for the companies involved..

Niche products or platforms..
Many interested/dedicated entrepreneurs have tried, including Beos, Apple, and not succeeded (usually because of market forces, what else !)
--as you note, money talks; and talks loudly.
http://www.techflash.com/Microsoft_reve ... 10277.html
http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Micr ... 73737.html

The only ones that seem to be succeeding in a noticeable way is..
  • Linux
    --yes it is around and invited to more and more businesses
  • Apple MAC and IPhone
  • Firebox
    --most popular browser in Europe
  • Google
    --google apps, cloud computing; they have lots of money as well
--and the direction Microsoft is heading as a hedge against their own OS, while ms office provides about 40% of their revenue stream
http://gigaom.com/2009/07/13/want-micro ... ur-breath/
http://gigaom.com/2009/07/09/microsoft- ... ch-monday/
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

Fred wrote:dnmint wrote:
I need to use Int Exp for some of my banking, stock trade & Lotus Notes Email account with my organisation. I have kept Windows on my system just for that.
It would scare me to death to use IE/Windows for anything financial! You are more of a risk taker than I am. :-)

Fred
I agree, Fred
I have little choice till more & more organisations go over to Firefox.
Anything on Wine Doors- Drupal- IE6 error messages?
Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”