Mint 7 KDE - horsepower?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 7 KDE - horsepower?

Post by ElEdwards »

Hi :) As a Mint lover for a long time, I decided to try the new Mint 7 KDE on my laptop, which is an older Compaq Presario 2170us with a Celeron (2Gig), a 40-Gig HDD and 512Ram (dual booting with XP-Home).

I have found that boot up takes a LONG time (4 mins +) to get to the desktop and once there, things are a bit sluggish. Everything works...but it's like wading through mud.

Does this version require more horsepower than I have?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
optimize me

Re: Mint 7 KDE - horsepower?

Post by optimize me »

You probably need more RAM. Your processor is plenty fast - faster than mine and I run Gnome with a full spread of Compiz-Fusion effects. I have a full GB of RAM, though, and I rarely see my swap space being used.

For something that light on RAM (though still above recommended minimums) you might want to give Gnome a try. From there, if you still notice sluggishness and unresponsiveness, XFCE might be more up your alley. IMHO, KDE4.x is the Vista of Linux desktop environments (as far as resource hogging is concerned). I wasn't happy with the way it performed on my system, either.

I'm not sure why your boot times would be so long. 4 minutes is way too long for boot time. It could have to do with the memory issue. Someone else will undoubtedly have other advice to give. Maybe someone with more KDE experience...
dafi

Post by dafi »

(My System:
P4, 3Ghz
512MB RAM
Geforce 5600FX 128MB
1GB Swap)

I disabled compositing and now its ok, but amarok2 is really slow.
Bootup-Time is fast maybe one minute, but then i'm only at the login screen ;-)
kde4 needs more RAM then kde3, as i noticed at my ram-meter. With kde3 ram was full when kontact starts, now ram is full without kontact...

The plus i noticed, is that the desktop appears faster, when i click minimize all windows :-) i think its always in the ram (and all the icons, too)
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

I sort of figured that my laptop didn't have enough UMPHHH..... so its back to my old reliable Gnome :)

El
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have been trying to install Mint-7 KDE on my laptop

It is taking forever to install . . . the KDE format is over 1.2 Gb
My laptop only has 512 Mb of RAM and 35 Gb of HHD . . . it might not take it?

We shall see how the install goes, and if everything works?

Return to “Software & Applications”