Can I mark packages to NOT show in Mint Update? [solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Can I mark packages to NOT show in Mint Update? [solved]

Post by Lantesh »

I was wondering if there is a way to mark packages so they do not show up in Mint update. Case in point: I am running Deluge 1.1.9, and Miro 2.5.2. Due to conflicting dependencies I used the Deluge 1.1.9 version available from removed. However I have multiple PPAs, and even the Karmic Koala repositories enabled for other things. So now in Mint Update another Deluge 1.1.9 version from another source wants to update over my removed version. I have locked the Deluge package versions in Synaptic, so there is no danger of accidently overwriting the packages, but how can I stop Deluge from showing up in Mint Update? I'm thinking that this is not possible.

Clem, I'd like to suggest this as a feature for the next version of Mint Mint Update.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Can I mark packages to NOT show in Mint Update?

Post by viking777 »

You could adopt my solution - switch off Mint Update and just use Synaptic?
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Thanks for the suggestion viking777. I do like Mint Update though, and will continue to use it even with this issue.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I have never done this but from : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 241#p57632
cmost wrote:I respectfully disagree with Husse. You can "pin" any version of a particular package that you like; thereby preventing its upgrade and MintUpdate will respect your choices. Here's how to do it:

edit your /etc/apt/preferences file. (if the file doesn't exist, create it as root!) You can PIN packages there and set the file to read only thus preventing Apt from modifying it further. For all the information you need on how to do this, including syntax, see the APT how-to here: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-h ... html#s-pin

Example 1:
Package: bayonne
Pin: version 1.0.8*
Pin-Priority: 1001

Example 2:
Package: cdparanoia
Pin: version 3a9.8-13*

Currently, I've upgraded my system to the latest OpenOffice.org packages and I've pinned them as described to prvent APT from modifying their versions further. Good luck! :-)
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

altair4, I already have Deluge pinned/locked. Mint Update will not update it. The issue is that it still shows in Mint Update as an available update, and the icon in the panel shows that there are available upgrades. I'm trying to find a way for Mint Update to not even show Deluge. At present I don't think this is possible.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just curious, but did you pin it in synaptic using "Lock Version"?

There seems to be a bug in Synaptic itself using that method: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/313614
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Yes actually I did lock it in Synaptic. I'll try it the other way and see if it makes a difference.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

altair4, you were right. Pinning the packages manually did the trick. I had to go so far as to list the deb file name, but it worked. I no longer see them in Mint Update. :D

Here is what I had to add to the file.

Code: Select all

Package: deluge
Pin: version 1.1.9-1~removed1

Package: deluge-common

Package: deluge-core
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This would be a whole lot simpler if "Lock Version" worked in Synaptic but based on the last comment from the Ubuntu bug report it doesn't look promising:
#4 Pedro Villavicencio wrote on 2009-07-16:

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. You reported this bug a while ago and there hasn't been any activity in it recently. We were wondering is this still an issue for you? May you please try the same with Jaunty and comment back? Thanks in advance.
You might consider posting a bug report to the Mint Bug Forum http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=166. There is a feedback channel between Mint and Ubuntu. I submitted a bug report on nautilus-shares which ended up in the Ubuntu bug report. With emorrp1's help this looks like it's going to be fixed. In fact he pretty much pulled it out of the fire because it looked to me that Ubuntu was going to close it.

Return to “Software & Applications”