Install problems on Compaq

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fwc

Install problems on Compaq

Post by fwc »

Hey,
I am trying to install Mint on a Compaq C500 laptop and encountering problems. When I try and boot off the CD it keeps loading the the main desktop indefinitely after the login screen. If you just boot the installer it works until it loads GParted where it displays a multi colored pattern like its trying to change resolution and failing. After a few minutes of trying to load GParted it somehow goes to the login screen but again it won't load the desktop. The graphics card is a Mobile Intel 945GM on the Express chipset family. I hope this is enought info and isn't difficult to fix.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Install problems on Compaq

Post by Husse »

The 945 should not give such problems I think
Have you tried Compatibility mode (Press any key while the live CD counts down)
Did you check the md5sum and burned slowly?
In Windows you need a third party program to check the md5sum
fwc

Post by fwc »

Hmm, I went through some Ubuntu documentation on how to check the md5sum on the CD and they gave me some instructions. After completing them I am posting the results here:

Code: Select all

Anon@Anon-desktop /media/cdrom $ md5sum -c md5sum.txt | grep -vi 'OK$'
md5sum: ./lmmenu.exe: Input/output error
./lmmenu.exe: FAILED open or read
md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 27 listed files could not be read
Anon@Anon-desktop /media/cdrom $ 
Does this mean that there is a possible corruption and would it affect the install procedure? The only problem with this theory is that we had another Mint install disk from another download and another burn and it also produced the same results. But still, there may be a problem with this install disk if someone can help. Thanks very much.
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you have an installed Mint you can just right click the ISO, there's a check md5sum option
In any other Linux just open the terminal and do
md5 name-of-ISO
Compare with the one on the download page :)
fwc

Post by fwc »

yea. but this is a check after burning
Husse

Post by Husse »

You check the md5sum before burning (of the entire ISO)
At least Brasero (which works well now) then makes an integrity check
If both turn out OK the disk is OK (probably :))

Return to “Installation & Boot”