Prism: broken package

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
je1403

Prism: broken package

Post by je1403 »

I use Songbird as my music player. Recently I downloaded the prism for Google Reader via gnome-app-install. After the program had downloaded all the files and installed them, an error message appears: (translated from spanish to english)

"E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xulrunner-1.9-dom-inspector_1.9.0.13+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.04.1_all.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/extensions/inspector@mozilla.org/chrome/inspector.jar', which is also in the package songbird"

The GReader prism works fine, but I cannot add or remove applications because the package appears as broken and it needs to be fixed before changing anything else. Synaptic Package Manager solves the problem by uninstalling prism, but I want to use prism.

As a separate issue, I also tried to use GRNotify (a panel applet that show the unread items of your GReader account), but after installing, I try to open it but nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lantesh

Re: Prism: broken package

Post by Lantesh »

Welcome to dependency hell. I had the same issue with Miro and Deluge. The easiest solution is to change the source of one of your programs, and use a different build. Sometimes different builds will have different dependencies, and hopefully you can't find builds that don't conflict.
je1403

Post by je1403 »

Whato do I need to do, then? All I want is to be able to read my feeds and Google Reader is the only things that works. Liferea is ok, but its gonna kill my hard drive and it is so slow. Any other feed reader in linux is way too basic.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I don't use Google reader or Prism, so I can't really tell you where to look. Try looking at removed, or see if one of those program's vendors has their own repository. Try installing both programs from their deb files, instead of from a repository. Basically experiment, and see if their is a combination that gets the job done. That's what I do.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

je1403 wrote:The GReader prism works fine, but I cannot add or remove applications because the package appears as broken and it needs to be fixed before changing anything else. Synaptic Package Manager solves the problem by uninstalling prism, but I want to use prism
What then happens, if you reinstall Prism after synaptic fixes the issue by removing it..
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/11/0 ... lla-prism/
--it is not a *.jar file, however this is where *? has something similar
in terminal, check
  • locate inspector
    /usr/lib/sunbird/components/inspector.xpt
    /usr/lib/thunderbird/components/inspector.xpt
And you had already installed Prism itself..
In terminal, check
  • apt search Prism
    p prism - Split web applications out of the browser
    p prism-google-groups - Google Groups WebApp for Prism
    p prism-google-mail - Google Mail (GMail) WebApp for Prism
    p prism-google-reader - Google Reader WebApp for Prism
--or possibly some of the other applications (Google) might need to fully utilize Prism..

Without installing it prism-google-reader, I would be likely to also install those others.

If it really is a dependency issue between Songbird and Prism, and either one cannot use the other's file *.jar, then you are stuck, and would have to choose which one you can do without..
--there may be an older webapp, similar to Prism that does not require the same dependency ?

Pick another installation directory for Prism..

Post by je1403 »

I followed the instructions provided in the link by DrHu, just modifying the commands to get the latest (0.9) version of prism. It now works perfectly from the /opt directory.

I now have two more questions:
1. Can I get a translated version?
2. How do I make Prism appear in the menu? I dont just want to have it in the menu because I created a link to it, I want the whole system to be able to recognize it as an installed app. This is important because I use Gnome Do to do everything, and it cant access Google Reader in the current state.

Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”